Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de> on 2008/01/25 15:45:04 UTC

Question regarding user names

Hi all,

I've been searching the documentation but haven't found any sufficient
answers to the question:

* how the different names (user name, full name, wiki name) are
  related to each other (that's the main point)

* why they're distinguished

* and where and how they should be used or not (regarding
  links, ACLs, wiki groups,...) (ok this is partly documented, but it
  seems to me that either name may be used in any case, which doesn't
  make sense to me, so I guess I'm wrong)

Would appreciate any answers and cause consideration to make the
documentation clearer in this point.

Regards,
 Florian

Re: Question regarding user names

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.
On Jan 25, 2008, at 9:49 PM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:
> BTW, here's a completely unrelated statistic that I just dug up: 98%
> of all edits to jspwiki.org are spammers.  Isn't it wonderful to
> have a spam filter?

As a guy who measures security-oriented things for a living, this is a
great (in a hold-your-nose sense) statistic.

I agree that we ought to just kill off WikiNames entirely in 3.0...

Andrew

Re: Question regarding user names

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
The username is the "login name", i.e. typically your account name.
This is what you would use to login in an UNIX system.

The full name is then your regular name.

The wikiname *used* to be different, but in 2.6 it's just a generated
property, and largely replaced by the full name anyway.  We should
deprecate it and get rid of it in 3.0 timeframe.

After cleaning away about 200 garbage strings from "WikiNames" I
figured that people don't get them.

BTW, here's a completely unrelated statistic that I just dug up: 98%
of all edits to jspwiki.org are spammers.  Isn't it wonderful to have
a spam filter?

/Janne