Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/11/04 02:47:29 UTC

Re: Putting the date into the referer log.

> I like this.  Generalization is almost always a good thing.  :)
> I could easily see
>
>   HeaderMatch User-Agent /^Mozilla/ netscape=yes
>
> or whatever instead of
>
>   BrowserMatch /^Mozilla/ netscape=yes

Keep in mind that any inspection of the request headers that results
in a varying response returned to the client must be marked as such
with a Vary header field in the response.  This means that any piece
of the server that looks at the environment variables for case-based
modification of the response content (as opposed to the connection options
like keepalive) must also know which header field caused that case to occur.

.....Roy