Posted to dev@mnemonic.apache.org by "Wang, Yanping" <ya...@intel.com> on 2016/04/04 06:20:22 UTC

RE: Mnemonic board report due in one week.

Hi, All

Uma, Gary, and I put up following draft. Does it look ok?

=====================================
-------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------
* Still getting started at the Incubator
Mnemonic

--------------------
Mnemonic
Mnemonic is a Java based non-volatile memory library for in-place structured data processing and computing.

Mnemonic has been incubating since 2016-03-03.
Due to the delay of SGA, Mnemonic code was moved in ASF on 3/24.

>>Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
1. Name search JIRA is filed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-95, We propose "Mnemonic" is a suitable name for this project.
2.
3.

>>Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
None

>>How has the community developed since the last report?
No new development as the project was just moved in.
This is the first board report from Mnemonic. The project is in early stage in setting up the infra, no new contributors joined yet other than 10 listed in Mnemonic proposal.

>>How has the project developed since the last report?
We ported source code in Apache on 3/24 after SGA was filed on 3/23. We are doing several refactoring to fit Apache project standard.
We are defining coding guidelines the roadmap for the project, working on enabling Apache Arrow to use Mnemonic as underlying pooling mechanism, and designing the native computing infrastructure. Apache Arrow community is very interested in this Mnemonic integration for extending Arrow into persistent memory and storage.

Bug tracking JIRA setup was done and 6 issues reported. Mailing list discussions are happening actively related to infrastructure needs and other directions for the project.

>>Date of last release:
No release yet

>>When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
No election, since the project is just starting.
As part of Incubation, initial committers were proposed and added. After that no new committers added yet.

====================================

Thanks
Yanping

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.

On 4/3/16, 11:07 PM, "saint.ack@gmail.com on behalf of Stack"
<saint.ack@gmail.com on behalf of stack@duboce.net> wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Wang, Yanping <ya...@intel.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi, All
>>
>> Uma, Gary, and I put up following draft. Does it look ok?
>>
>> =====================================
>> -------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------
>> * Still getting started at the Incubator
>> Mnemonic
>>

>Reports normally start with the below. They don't include the '>>'.
>Checkout past wiki postings for examples.
>

>> --------------------
>> Mnemonic
>> Mnemonic is a Java based non-volatile memory library for in-place
>> structured data processing and computing.
>>
>> Mnemonic has been incubating since 2016-03-03.
>> Due to the delay of SGA, Mnemonic code was moved in ASF on 3/24.
>>

>s/in/into/
>
>FYI, delays are normal.

>> 1. Name search JIRA is filed:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-95, We propose
>> "Mnemonic" is a suitable name for this project.
>> 2.
>> 3.
>>

>See other reports for examples of what to fill in for #2 and #3.
>
>But I'd suggest #1 is NOT one of the most important issues you need to
>work
>on to graduate (It belongs in the report but not at this point IMO)
I think we should add a point about community building. Plans/efforts
towards attracting more users and contributors. Eventually we nominate
them as committers after we received the welcomed contributions. I noticed
this point has become one of the major obstacle point for graduating some
other project from Incubation. This is very important point for project
health and future.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Yep, just closed the issue

Posted by Gary <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Wang, Yanping" <ya...@intel.com>.

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Wang, Yanping" <ya...@intel.com>.
Sure :-)

Thanks,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
This one looks good to me.

Posted by "Wang, Yanping" <ya...@intel.com>.
Thanks all for the feedback.
[...]

This is the first board report from Mnemonic. The project is in early stage in setting up the infra. In addition to contributors listed in Mnemonic proposal, we had one new contributor joined us. We are actively discuss with Arrow community in dev list for the idea on integration. Apache Arrow community is very interested in Mnemonic integration for extending Arrow into persistent memory and storage.

We ported source code in Apache on 3/24 after SGA was filed on 3/23. We are doing several refactorings and defining coding guidelines to fit Apache project standard.
We are working on enabling Apache Arrow to use Mnemonic as underlying pooling mechanism, and designing the native computing infrastructure.
We are structuring native computing feature interface.
Bug tracking JIRA setup was done, 13 issues were filed. 4 issues were solved.
Mailing list discussions are happening actively related to infrastructure, code standard, features for the project.

Date of last release:
> [...]

s/refactoring/refactorings/

> We are defining coding guidelines the roadmap for the project,

Is the above complete?

> working on enabling Apache Arrow to use Mnemonic as underlying pooling
> mechanism, and designing the native computing infrastructure. Apache Arrow
> community is very interested in this Mnemonic integration for extending
> Arrow into persistent memory and storage.
>
> Bug tracking JIRA setup was done and 6 issues reported. Mailing list
> discussions are happening actively related to infrastructure needs and
> other directions for the project.
>
> >>Date of last release:
> No release yet
>
> >>When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
> No election, since the project is just starting.
> As part of Incubation, initial committers were proposed and added. After

Otherwise, looks great.

St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
wrote:

> [...]

s/refactoring/refactorings/

> We are defining coding guidelines the roadmap for the project,

Is the above complete?

> working on enabling Apache Arrow to use Mnemonic as underlying pooling
> mechanism, and designing the native computing infrastructure. Apache Arrow
> community is very interested in this Mnemonic integration for extending
> Arrow into persistent memory and storage.
>
> Bug tracking JIRA setup was done and 6 issues reported. Mailing list
> discussions are happening actively related to infrastructure needs and
> other directions for the project.
>
> >>Date of last release:
> No release yet
>
> >>When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
> No election, since the project is just starting.
> As part of Incubation, initial committers were proposed and added. After

Otherwise, looks great.

St.Ack