Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Selva Govindarajan <se...@esgyn.com> on 2016/10/22 01:14:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] Introducing Trafodion customization using its own configuration file.

Currently Trafodion uses the standard client side Hbase configuration file hbase-site.xml deployed by the distros. It is found that there are variations in this configuration file between distros. At times, the distro manager decides that a given property is not a client property and it is not added to the deployed hbase client configuration file. In addition, there are certain properties like hbase.coprocessor.region.classes  need to be configured for Trafodion tables for the transaction management. Hence, I am planning to introduce a configuration file traf-site.xml specific to Trafodion similar to hbase configuration file hbase-site.xml.  This configuration file extends the properties inherited from the standard hbase-site.xml.

By default, the traf-site.xml comes with the following properties

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- Put Trafodion site-specific property overrides in this file. -->

<configuration>
   <property>
     <name>hbase.hregion.impl</name>
     <value>org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.transactional.TransactionalRegion</value>
   </property>
   <property>
    <name>hbase.coprocessor.region.classes</name>
      <value>
           org.apache.hadoop.hbase.coprocessor.transactional.TrxRegionObserver,
           org.apache.hadoop.hbase.coprocessor.transactional.TrxRegionEndpoint,
           org.apache.hadoop.hbase.coprocessor.AggregateImplementation
      </value>
   </property>
   <property>
    <name>hbase.client.scanner.timeout.period</name>
    <value>3600000</value>
   </property>
</configuration>

This property file will be installed if it doesn't exist at $MY_SQROOT/etc directory when sqgen is done. Any client side property can be added to this file and the client connections from Trafodion client processes will inherit them.

The hbase.coprocessor.region.classes are added as Table co-processor to the table descriptor when a Trafodion table is created. Trafodion installer will not be adding to these properties to hbase configuration file soon.

Please feel free to provide your valuable suggestions/comments.

Thanks
Selva

RE: [DISCUSS] Introducing Trafodion customization using its own configuration file.

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
This should work okay for now.

     Roberta

Posted by Selva Govindarajan <se...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Roberta,

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Selva Govindarajan <se...@esgyn.com>.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

The resource file traf-site.xml being renamed as trafodion-site.xml is mainly for the client side properties.  There is no need for hbase to be restarted for these properties to take effect, but trafodion need to be restarted.

As suggested by Hans/Steve, the resource file can contain the hbase property name prefixed with 'trafodion.'.  Trafodion will strip 'trafodion.' and then add to the Configuration.

For details on this change, please see https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/pull/777

Selva

Posted by Qifan Chen <qi...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.