Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/16 20:42:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Are you ready to graduate?

Hello all,

as a mentor of this project it is my impression that this podling is
ready to graduate.

This is surely a project with much heat in it; but I also think it is
stable. The project made a release and constantly voted in new
committers/ppmc members. It is active and has proven that it can make
decisions by discussions.

As mentors we have stepped into many discussions and told what we
think. But now it seems to me there is nothing we can bring to you.
The culture here is settled. You guys know whom to ask and where to go
if problems occur.

Looking at this:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
it seems everything is done.

My questions to you all as a project:

Do you feel ready to graduate?
Are you able to vote a chair?
Do you think your project is ready?

If you can answer all the questions above with "yes" I would love to
see graduation actions/discussions as mentioned here:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Cheers,
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Are you ready to graduate?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 07/16/2012 08:57 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Christian Grobmeier
>> <gr...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> as a mentor of this project it is my impression that this podling is
>>> ready to graduate.
>>>
>>> This is surely a project with much heat in it; but I also think it is
>>> stable. The project made a release and constantly voted in new
>>> committers/ppmc members. It is active and has proven that it can make
>>> decisions by discussions.
>>>
>>> As mentors we have stepped into many discussions and told what we
>>> think. But now it seems to me there is nothing we can bring to you.
>>> The culture here is settled. You guys know whom to ask and where to go
>>> if problems occur.
>>>
>>> Looking at this:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
>>> it seems everything is done.
>>>
>>> My questions to you all as a project:
>>>
>>> Do you feel ready to graduate?
>>> Are you able to vote a chair?
>>> Do you think your project is ready?
>>>
>>> If you can answer all the questions above with "yes" I would love to
>>> see graduation actions/discussions as mentioned here:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
>>>

>> We discussed this in a thread a month or so ago.  I think the answer
>> was yes, but with two concerns on the timing:
>>
>> 1) There was some category-b per-requisite components that we had in
>> SVN.  At least one project member thought this needed to be done
>> before graduation. The plan was to move them to Apache Extras.  But
>> doing so would break the build in AOO 3.4 release.  So we agreed to
>> fix this in AOO 3.4.1.
>>
>> 2) Some of us wanted to avoid the distraction of a graduation vote at
>> the same time as the 3.4.1 release, a time when we're really
>> heads-down on the release end game..  Especially if this would lead to
>> disruptive naming changes that would have an impact on product UI
>> and/or release communications due to changing URL's and email
>> addresses, etc.
>>
>> So the discussion at that time was to push for AOO 3.4.1 release by
>> end of July and then start the graduation proceedings.
>>
>> Of course, I'm not saying this is set in stone. But that was the
>> outcome of the prior discussion.
>

> I also think that this would interfer the last phase of creating and
> publishing 3.4.1 is not so good (even if graduation is of course a very
> positive event ;-) ). So +1 to wait a few weeks more when the 3.4.1 release
> is done and some dust has settled.

There is no hurry of course.
In any case, I think it would be good to mention the plan on the next report.

Cheers
Christian

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> as a mentor of this project it is my impression that this podling is
> ready to graduate.
>
> This is surely a project with much heat in it; but I also think it is
> stable. The project made a release and constantly voted in new
> committers/ppmc members. It is active and has proven that it can make
> decisions by discussions.
>
> As mentors we have stepped into many discussions and told what we
> think. But now it seems to me there is nothing we can bring to you.
> The culture here is settled. You guys know whom to ask and where to go
> if problems occur.
>
> Looking at this:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
> it seems everything is done.
>
> My questions to you all as a project:
>
> Do you feel ready to graduate?
> Are you able to vote a chair?
> Do you think your project is ready?
>
> If you can answer all the questions above with "yes" I would love to
> see graduation actions/discussions as mentioned here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

We discussed this in a thread a month or so ago.  I think the answer
was yes, but with two concerns on the timing:

1) There was some category-b per-requisite components that we had in
SVN.  At least one project member thought this needed to be done
before graduation. The plan was to move them to Apache Extras.  But
doing so would break the build in AOO 3.4 release.  So we agreed to
fix this in AOO 3.4.1.

2) Some of us wanted to avoid the distraction of a graduation vote at
the same time as the 3.4.1 release, a time when we're really
heads-down on the release end game..  Especially if this would lead to
disruptive naming changes that would have an impact on product UI
and/or release communications due to changing URL's and email
addresses, etc.

So the discussion at that time was to push for AOO 3.4.1 release by
end of July and then start the graduation proceedings.

Of course, I'm not saying this is set in stone. But that was the
outcome of the prior discussion.

-Rob