Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> on 2007/08/07 19:02:24 UTC

ezmlm stripping Outlook attachments

Hi,

We've had a number of complaints about ezmlm stripping plain text
attachments to posts such as patches sent by Microsoft Outlook.
Other mailers (e.g., Mozilla) don't have this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with it other
that to switch to a different mailer? More generally, is there
a document that describes the do's and don'ts of posting to
Apache lists?

Thanks
Martin

RE: ezmlm stripping Outlook attachments

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

  The test message shows positive result :)

Farid.

RE: ezmlm stripping Outlook attachments

Posted by Travis Vitek <tv...@quovadx.com>.
Yes, outlook correctly sets the mime time to text/plain if you send a
.txt file. I think I've managed to trick outlook to send .patch and
.diff files as mime text/* types. I'll let you know what I did if it
actually works. Otherwise I'm just going to start appending .txt to my
patch files.

Travis

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've had a number of complaints about ezmlm stripping plain text
>> attachments to posts such as patches sent by Microsoft Outlook.
>> Other mailers (e.g., Mozilla) don't have this problem.
>
> IIRC this was a measure put in place by infrastructure after numerous
> complaints about viruses being mailed to lists by outlook. ask on
> infrastructure for a definitive answer.

Will do.

FWIW, after some experimenting we've figured out that Outlook
sends text attachments with extensions other than .txt with
MIME type of application/octet-stream, and encodes those with
the .txt extension in base64. So far no one on stdcxx-dev has
been able to figure out how to make it send them as plain/text.
People have been using other mailers to send to the list. Is
Outlook really this bad or are we overlooking something? Are
there any Outlook users here who have a better experience?

>> Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with it other
>> that to switch to a different mailer?
>
> inline short text after the email body eg.
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200708.mbox/%3cf470f68e0708011402w31f2f386if011d01d4d105125@mail.gmail.com%3e
>
> longer text is better in JIRA

Right. That's been our approach.

>> More generally, is there
>> a document that describes the do's and don'ts of posting to
>> Apache lists?
>
> some but they could do with some more work :-/
>
> eg http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

Thanks! These are useful guidelines on the mailing list etiquette.

> anyone interested in pulling together some better documentation?

I'd be happy to help by sharing/documenting our experiences but
before I try to impart our wisdom on the masses I'd like to hear
how others have dealt with the problem.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/7/07, Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've had a number of complaints about ezmlm stripping plain text
> attachments to posts such as patches sent by Microsoft Outlook.
> Other mailers (e.g., Mozilla) don't have this problem.

IIRC this was a measure put in place by infrastructure after numerous
complaints about viruses being mailed to lists by outlook. ask on
infrastructure for a definitive answer.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with it other
> that to switch to a different mailer?

inline short text after the email body eg.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200708.mbox/%3cf470f68e0708011402w31f2f386if011d01d4d105125@mail.gmail.com%3e

longer text is better in JIRA

> More generally, is there
> a document that describes the do's and don'ts of posting to
> Apache lists?

some but they could do with some more work :-/

eg http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

anyone interested in pulling together some better documentation?

- robert