Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl> on 2007/02/02 09:01:24 UTC

Re: T5: which way do you prefer?

Kent Tong wrote:
> Alternatively, a type-safe setter style:

I would personally love type-safety. Currently my biggest gripe with
Tapestry is the lack compile-time error-checking (and on-the-fly
error-checking of my IDE) and lack of code-completion.
A lot of stuff is currently (T4) configured using specific textual
strings. You have to learn them by heart or keep documentation ready all
the time and it is very easy to make a typo that will only show up on
runtime. This decreases productivity for me.
I lost count of the number of times I mixed up 'listeners:' with
'listener:' or 'beans:' with 'bean:' and other small mistakes. You won't
notice them until you startup the application.
That still gives me a JSP'isch feeling and basically means you have to
put much more effort into testing each conditional block on the page on
runtime

Any IDE would give you code-completion when using setter-style code in
the library. It _may_ be more typing (although I doubt it because of
code-completion) but it would be easier to learn, easier to to write
supporting tools for, faster to develop for (less looking through
documentation for people that don't know the documentation by heart) and
on top of that deliver better quality code since your IDE will help spot
typos as you type and the compiler will spit out errors if you make a
mistake before running.

All IMHO of course :o)

Regards,

Onno

Re: T5: which way do you prefer?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
This is just an unfortunate example where the jre evolution hasn't
been able to keep up with technology...Other projects using
annotations suffer from the same problems.

I think the only viable solution for compile time checking is getting
it in the form of IDE help until the jdk catches up. For instance,
I've seen but not confirmed that ognl expressions are resolved by this
plugin:

http://handyedit.com/handytapestry.html

On 2/2/07, Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl> wrote:
> Kent Tong wrote:
> > Alternatively, a type-safe setter style:
> >
> I would personally love type-safety. Currently my biggest gripe with
> Tapestry is the lack compile-time error-checking (and on-the-fly
> error-checking of my IDE) and lack of code-completion.
> A lot of stuff is currently (T4) configured using specific textual
> strings. You have to learn them by heart or keep documentation ready all
> the time and it is very easy to make a typo that will only show up on
> runtime. This decreases productivity for me.
> I lost count of the number of times I mixed up 'listeners:' with
> 'listener:' or 'beans:' with 'bean:' and other small mistakes. You won't
> notice them until you startup the application.
> That still gives me a JSP'isch feeling and basically means you have to
> put much more effort into testing each conditional block on the page on
> runtime
>
> Any IDE would give you code-completion when using setter-style code in
> the library. It _may_ be more typing (although I doubt it because of
> code-completion) but it would be easier to learn, easier to to write
> supporting tools for, faster to develop for (less looking through
> documentation for people that don't know the documentation by heart) and
> on top of that deliver better quality code since your IDE will help spot
> typos as you type and the compiler will spit out errors if you make a
> mistake before running.
>
> All IMHO of course :o)
>

> Regards,
>
> Onno