Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jaran Nilsen <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/30 14:37:49 UTC

To and Subject headers disappearing

Hi.

I am having a problem with commons-email 1.1. I am not sure where the
problem is,but figured this would be a good place to start trying to
figure out why this is happening to my application.

I have two projects, A and B. In project A, the only dependency (Maven
2) is commons-email 1.1. This is again dependent on JavaMail 1.4
(mail-1.4).

In project B, I have the same dependency, commons-email 1.1, but I
also have several other dependencies. One of these are xfire-core
1.2.6, which I have seen is also dependent on JavaMail 1.4. Xfire-core
and commons-email are the ONLY artifacts depending on JavaMail in
project B.

When I run the following codesnippet in Project A, everything works
fine. The email arrives and things are sweet like a warm summer day.
However, when I run the same piece of code in Project B, the To and
Subject headers disappear! I have been scratching my head and been
testing up and down and can't figure out what is causing this.

Are there anyone out there who have experienced anything similar and
can point me in the right direction?

Here is the code snippet:
SimpleEmail email = new SimpleEmail();
email.setHostName("localhost");
email.setSmtpPort(25025);
email.addTo("jaran.nilsen@integrasco.no");
email.setFrom("peons@integrasco.no", "Integrasco Peons");
email.setSubject("Test message");
email.setMsg("This is a simple test of commons-email");
email.setDebug(true);
email.send();

Debug output from Project A:
DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.4ea
DEBUG: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/lib/javamail.providers (No such
file or directory)
DEBUG: !anyLoaded
DEBUG: not loading resource: /META-INF/javamail.providers
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: Tables of loaded providers
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Class Name:
{com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Protocol:
{imaps=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imaps,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
imap=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
smtps=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtps,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
pop3=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
pop3s=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3s,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
smtp=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.address.map
DEBUG: !anyLoaded
DEBUG: not loading resource: /META-INF/javamail.address.map
DEBUG: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/lib/javamail.address.map (No such
file or directory)
DEBUG: getProvider() returning
javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth false
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "localhost", port 25025, isSSL false
220 ludvig.integrasco.no ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Tue, 30 Sep
2008 14:35:48 +0200
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "localhost", port: 25025

EHLO jaran-laptop
250-ludvig.integrasco.no Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1],
pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "PIPELINING", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "8BITMIME", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SIZE", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "DSN", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ETRN", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "AUTH", arg "DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "DELIVERBY", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "HELP", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: use8bit false
MAIL FROM:<pe...@integrasco.no>
250 2.1.0 <pe...@integrasco.no>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<ja...@integrasco.no>
250 2.1.5 <ja...@integrasco.no>... Recipient ok
DEBUG SMTP: Verified Addresses
DEBUG SMTP:   "jaran.nilsen@integrasco.no" <ja...@integrasco.no>
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:36:46 +0200 (CEST)
From: Integrasco Peons <pe...@integrasco.no>
To: "jaran.nilsen@integrasco.no" <ja...@integrasco.no>
Subject: Test message

This is a simple test of commons-email
.
250 2.0.0 m8UCZmKZ029942 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 2.0.0 ludvig.integrasco.no closing connection

Debug output from Project B:
jar:file:/home/jaran/.m2/repository/javax/mail/mail/1.4/mail-1.4.jar!/META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=imap,
className=com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore, vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc,
version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=imaps,
className=com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPSSLStore, vendor=Sun Microsystems,
Inc, version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=smtp,
className=com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport, vendor=Sun Microsystems,
Inc, version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=smtps,
className=com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSSLTransport, vendor=Sun Microsystems,
Inc, version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=pop3,
className=com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store, vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc,
version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=pop3s,
className=com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3SSLStore, vendor=Sun Microsystems,
Inc, version=null
DEBUG: getProvider() returning provider protocol=smtp;
type=javax.mail.Provider$Type@106082;
class=com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport; vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth false
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "localhost", port 25025, isSSL false
220 ludvig.integrasco.no ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Tue, 30 Sep
2008 14:36:44 +0200
[...]

250 2.0.0 m8UCaixb030029 Message accepted for delivery
QUIT
221 2.0.0 ludvig.integrasco.no closing connection

Appreciate any help on this. Starting to go out of hair to pull out :)

Kind regards,
Jaran Nilsen

Re: To and Subject headers disappearing

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Sebastian,

the same problem popped up when I tried to add an Axis2 webservice stack
to an existing application already using Sun's mail and activation
library. I was unable to get rid of the various geronimo spec libraries
and simply gave up. So this is not only bound to Apache CXF and it's
good to know that this can break your application.

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaran Nilsen <ja...@gmail.com>.