Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2004/01/04 01:10:01 UTC

Re: [JXPath] Plans for JNDI, JMX and Filesystems?

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Henri,
>
> You misunderstood.  I meant a JNDI service provider for file system objects,
> such that a DirContext is a Directory, files are present as objects, file
> system attributes are JNDI attributes, etc.  Sun had a beta file system
> provider in an earlier version of JNDI, but it pretty much suffered for lack
> of features, and is no longer provided.

Yes, a fs context provider would make a good addition to directory-naming.
  The basic ingredients for this are already there in the sources from
tomcat (see the FileDirContext class in the resources package of
naming/core).  I am working on repackaging and getting the web site out
for this component.  I will post a link back to this list when the website
is out.

Looks like's Sun's "beta" is in fact still available here:

http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/downloads/

For anyone interested in volunteering to help develop (or donate) an fs
context provider, here is info on the Apache Directory project (includes
JNDI):

The dev list is:

directory-dev@incubator.apache.org

Sources for both naming and the "Eve" directory server are in the ASF
Subversion repository, here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/?root=Apache-SVN

The URI for the Subversion repository is:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/directory

For help getting started with Subversion, first grab a client here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/getting_subversion.html

and then have a look at the docs here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.html

Phil