Posted to general@xml.apache.org by ma...@corrosive.co.uk on 2001/11/05 14:43:36 UTC

website++: a working sample

Hi All

I've implemented design 3v1 into html:

http://www.corrosive.co.uk/xml_apache_org/site/

I've just done 2 pages, index.html and news.html, to give you an idea
of how the navigation and layout works.

There are the usual differences between Netscape and IE display of
the code (Netscape doesn't implement the width="100%" properly and
also seems to get confused by table backgrounds... IE does definitely
a better job... sigh!) but apart from that it seems pretty much to be
working as expected.

As with anything "funky", implementation has required the use of
quite some graphics, but they are tiny images and should load fast
and not get in the way of the display of main content.

I've managed to keep all the changing parts containing text into
their own tables (highlighted in the source code by comments),
leaving the "skeleton" of the design separated.

Please try it out on your browsers and get back to me with any comment.

Thanks
Max
--

------------------------------

Max Guglielmino
Corrosive
http://www.corrosive.co.uk

Re: website++: a working sample

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> max@corrosive.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I've implemented design 3v1 into html:
> >
> > http://www.corrosive.co.uk/xml_apache_org/site/
> >
> > I've just done 2 pages, index.html and news.html, to give you an idea
> > of how the navigation and layout works.
> >
> > There are the usual differences between Netscape and IE display of
> > the code (Netscape doesn't implement the width="100%" properly and
> > also seems to get confused by table backgrounds... IE does definitely
> > a better job... sigh!) but apart from that it seems pretty much to be
> > working as expected.
>
> If we can get that working I think we have a winner!
>
> The only anomoly in Netscape was the top and bottom of the navigation
> area.
>
> It loaded pretty quickly, so I appreciate that.

It printed nicely as well.  The navigation bar isn't as obtrusive, and the
text does not seem to get cut off.

However, The text in the body could stand to be a little larger.  I don't
mind the navigation stuff to be small--otherwise it can easily get in
the way (look at jakarta.apache.org and some of the navigation titles
there).

Both the printed and screen versions can be hard to read if you don't
have a hi-res display.  Perhaps you only need to bump it up a point
or two.

Re: website++: a working sample

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.