Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by os...@dubioso.net on 2007/12/11 08:04:38 UTC

RE: DAV revisited / The fate of the client library

Sorry for cross-posting, but since Bobby sent
two mails with similar intent to these lists...

Bobby,

please read through this discussion on jackrabbit-users,
it's the most recent one I am aware of:
http://www.nabble.com/The-state-of-WebDAV-Clients-to13937364.html

My impression is that there is interest, and
even a few people willing to put in some of
their time, but nobody who would want to lead
the charge for now.
There is no long-term future for a WebDAV client
based on HttpClient 3.x, since there is no
long-term future for HttpClient 3.x. Once we
have HttpClient 4.0 in beta, that is with a
stable API, I will be looking into the WebDAV
client problem again. A new client needs to be
based on HttpClient 4.0 (to raise my interest)
and therefore will be incompatible with the
current Slide or Jackrabbit WebDAV clients.

I expect the HttpClient 4.0 beta in the second
half of 2008. Maybe you can hang on with the
unsupported Slide WebDAV client until then. It's
not like you would have gotten much support in
the last year or two anyway.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: DAV revisited / The fate of the client library

Posted by Bobby Rullo <br...@osafoundation.org>.
Roland,

Thanks for that post, and link. Very informative.

I think I agree with you that the proper thing right now for us is to
"hurry up and do nothing" and see how everything shakes out.

Bobby

Posted by Bobby Rullo <br...@osafoundation.org>.
Roland,