Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> on 2015/05/05 04:22:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Create branch 'branch-0.5'

Hi,

I'd like discuss about creating a branch(ZEPPELIN-67
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-67>).

Currently, building source from master branch is the only official way user
can use Zeppelin. Therefore, we're extremely careful when merging code into
master and that slows down development.

If we make a branch and keep the branch stable, so user can build Zeppelin
from it and make a release from it. That'll help both keeping code stable
and faster accepting pullrequests.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
moon

Re: [DISCUSS] Create branch 'branch-0.5'

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
We had good discussions and i can see at least we need release branch.

I'd like to proceed creating 'branch-0.5' as a release branch.
Once it is created from current master, Pullrequests are going to merge
into master branch only. If there're some fix to be applied to branch-0.5,
it will be merged into both master and branch-0.5 branch. (our merge tool
already support it).

Target branch for the pullrequest can be marked as a 'fix version' in
related jira issue or explicitly say in a pullrequest's comment. Otherwise,
will be merged into master branch only.

Once we have 'branch-0.5' we can try release from it.
I'm creating a branch in next 24 hours if there're no possible serious
downside.

Best,
moon

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by "York, Brennon" <Br...@capitalone.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 12:41PM, York, Brennon wrote:
> I’m in favor of setting a branch for each release (e.g. ‘branch-0.5’). For
> reference its what many other projects do in ASF (e.g. Spark, Hadoop).

>From first hand experience: unfortunately Hadoop is using SVN branching model
on git. And it is getting _very_ time consuming when you're dealing with 2+
more release trains. Eg in case of Hadoop 3.x (trunk) and 2.x branches. That's
pretty unfortunate they never adopted the benefits of git. Once of the most
troublesome outcomes of it is a need to either cherry-pick commits from trunk
or do multiple commits for each patch. Argh...

The biggest plus-side of the model I am referring, is that you have _all_ you
code on the master because feature branches are merged into it and got
deleted; and long-lived release branches are merged into master periodically
with tagging. As the result, you preserve the history of the changes, because
merges preserve commits SHA1. And you have non-material tags that allow you to
branch out later if you need to have a hot-fix for an older release or
something.

> I’ve personally seen it help to maintain feature sets per branch, back
> porting bugs into older versions, and, in the long run, help maintain
> production support for various versions.

Actually, it is not - see above ;)

Cos

Posted by "York, Brennon" <Br...@capitalone.com>.

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.