Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by ksmith7 <ks...@nd.edu> on 2000/10/09 01:09:54 UTC

easy url mapping question

Hi,

I'm sorry for bugging everyone with an easy question, but I'm a student who is
just starting to learn how to use Tomcat. (Im so dumb i dont even understand
the FAQ yet).

Here is my problem:

I'm working with a 'very busy' web admin who manages the development server at
my University, he installed tomcat, and im trying to run apps off of my AFS
space.  He mapped on an apache machine the URL www3.nd.edu/ksmith7_JSP to the
jsp_app file on my AFS space.  This worked unless he stopped and restarted
tomcat on the server -- in which case the mapping was lost, and I had to go
ask him to do it again.

So if I do this will I be able to leave him alone for greater stretches of
time?

Am I correct in asking him to add a new <context> entry in server.xml on the
machine that maps to the docBase in my AFS space, as follows:

<context path="/ksmith7" docBase=(insert path to /ksmith7/jsp_app)
debug="like, totally man" reload="true">

</context>

     now does this mean that anytime somebody types the URL

         http://www3.nd.edu/ksmith7

     The request will be directed to the docBase on my AFS space

and that I will never ever have to bug the server admin again, and I can just
live happily ever after developing my own little apps in jsp_app with their
own little web.xml files.

I would fix this myself and not bother the mailing list people, but I can't
put my hands on the server to try things out, so I just want to make sure I'm
correct before I make a request.

thanks for understanding,

keith