Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2003/07/21 01:14:38 UTC

OJB and Cocoon

Hi:

I already do contact with the Apache OJB community. My idea is to use OJB
instead of Hibernate.

Here is the last mail from the communication with the project leader of
OJB community.

Comments are welcome. :)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi:

Sorry, but I am reviewing old mails. ;-D

This mail was wrote recently and cleary present the position of Hibernate
Team about to not change the LGPL license. See this post in a OJB list:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ojb.user/10414/match=lgpl

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

PS: The below mail was in time when Stefano was having good times in
Guayaquil. ;-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

Re: OJB and Cocoon

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Sorry, but I am reviewing old mails. ;-D
>
> This mail was wrote recently and cleary present the position of Hibernate
> Team about to not change the LGPL license. See this post in a OJB list:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ojb.user/10414/match=lgpl

Thanks for the update, Antonio.  I plan on diving into OJB and object
persistence soon for a project at work.  It's probably overkill, but I
need an excuse to learn a new skill ;)  Anyway, hopefully I will be able
to come up with a substantial application that Cocoon could benefit
from.  I look forward to playing with some new toys soon =

> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.
>
> PS: The below mail was in time when Stefano was having good times in
> Guayaquil. ;-D
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.

Regards,
Tony

Re: OJB and Cocoon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: OJB and Cocoon

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> > In other words, I personally see no benefit in developing a generic
> > framework for tieing views to persistence as a Cocoon block or other
> > kind of component. Let the application developers choose their
> > persistence mechanism (straight JDBC, O/R mapping, EJB, ...)
> > according
> > to the specific application needs and give them the tools (flow) to
> > control the interaction between the Model and the View.
>
> IIUC we are only talking about examples and not *fundamental* Cocoons
> stuff. Hibernate and OJB is IMO exchangeable and as we can put OJB
> libraries into CVS it just easier for us.

Yes, but even if *we* are only talking about examples this is often
perceived
by users as the *solution*, so we should really be careful with this.
I totally agree with Ugo, the users (or application developers) should
decide
which persistence mechanism they want to use. Cocoon must be independent
from it.

Carsten

RE: OJB and Cocoon

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.

Cheers,
Reinhard

Re: OJB and Cocoon

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I already do contact with the Apache OJB community. My idea is to use OJB
> instead of Hibernate.
>
> Here is the last mail from the communication with the project leader of
> OJB community.
>
> Comments are welcome. :)

Being one of the foremost proponents of Hibernate, I'd like to add my
0.02 €.

I chose to go with Hibernate for our in-house projects some time ago and
I'm very happy with it, licensing issues notwithstanding (we aren't
distributing any of our code, so we haven't any problem with the (L)GPL,
at the moment). In performing our evaluation, one of the most important
factors was the perception that there was an active community around
Hibernate. This did not appear to be the case with OJB, at least from
the website. I'm happy to hear that OJB is progressing along nicely
instead. Competition can be a good thing (even though maybe
"coopetition" would be better).

As far as Cocoon is concerned, there is really no reason why we should
"choose" a persistence framework over another one. Properly layered web
applications should not mix concerns too much between layers. This is
why I refrain from accessing any persistence-related code from the view
layer. I'm not going so far as to create an encapsulation of the
persistence mechanism that would allow me to change it without changing
the client code, since I think it would be overkill (KISS!), but
referring to Hibernate/OJB/whatever APIs from the flow only, directly or
indireclty, is OK in my book.

In other words, I personally see no benefit in developing a generic
framework for tieing views to persistence as a Cocoon block or other
kind of component. Let the application developers choose their
persistence mechanism (straight JDBC, O/R mapping, EJB, ...) according
to the specific application needs and give them the tools (flow) to
control the interaction between the Model and the View.

	Just IMHO,

		Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/

RE: OJB and Cocoon

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
Hi Antonio,

I would like to support (review, commits, coding) your efforts as Apache
Cocoon committer because I'm also very interested in this. So I would
looking forward to working together on this.

I would love to see an example using JXForms/Control Flow/OJB/Hibernate
- but I think that is exactly what you want to do, isn't it? And as
second example I would like to replace the Javascript database
connections in Petstore using OJB.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Reinhard