Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2011/01/28 14:36:38 UTC

Java 6 for 3.1?

Since Java 5 has been EOL'd for some time, and Java 7 seems to be close to GA, (and there's no more Java 5 on OS X, so I've no idea whether Cayenne is really java 5 compatible :-)), how about we make Java 6 a minimal JVM requirement for Cayenne 3.1? Keeping things tight and all that.

Comments?
Andrus

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
I guess we bag the upgrade for now then. At least the next time we discuss it, we will already know that there are no objections, except for this specific edge case of PPC and early 32-bit Intel Macs (I actually have one from the later category, used by my company QA).

(Wonder if there is a 32-bit version of OpenJDK 7?)

Andrus

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
There's nothing new in Java 6. JDBC 4 I guess is one area where we won't need a bunch of hacks that we are using now (org.objectstyle:jdbc-compat). This and Maven hacks to maintain 1.5 and 1.6 builds in parallel can go away.

Andrus

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Andrey

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.
+1

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1.   Every where I do work has switched over to 6.

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
+1.  Even I am using Java 6 now, and I'm usually a laggard.

Re: Java 6 for 3.1?

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
+1

Robert