Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/05 16:21:56 UTC

Where is maven-toolchain for M3?

Where is maven-toolchain... the last one I can find in SVN:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-2/branches/maven-2.2.x/maven-toolchain

repo1, shows that there was a 3.0-alpha-1 and 3.0-alpha-2 release but no
3.0-beta-1 release...
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/maven-toolchain/

So where is it gone to?

-Stephen

Re: Where is maven-toolchain for M3?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
OK, I can see:

r789006 | bentmann | 2009-06-27 19:18:46 +0100 (Sat, 27 Jun 2009) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /maven/components/trunk/apache-maven/pom.xml
   M /maven/components/trunk/maven-core/pom.xml
/maven/components/trunk/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/DefaultArtifactFilterManager.java
/maven/components/trunk/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/toolchain
(from
/maven/components/trunk/maven-toolchain/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/toolchain:789000)
   A /maven/components/trunk/maven-core/src/main/mdo/toolchains.mdo (from
/maven/components/trunk/maven-toolchain/src/main/mdo/toolchains.mdo:789000)
/maven/components/trunk/maven-core/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/toolchain
(from
/maven/components/trunk/maven-toolchain/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/toolchain:789000)
   M /maven/components/trunk/maven-embedder/pom.xml
   D /maven/components/trunk/maven-toolchain
   M /maven/components/trunk/pom.xml

So Benjamin, where did it go?

-Stephen

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Or should I just create a new component for to hold toolchains and their
factories... that way if multiple plugins need the same non-core toolchains,
at least there is only one dependency that is needed.

I'm looking at MINVOKER-100 and the supplied patch does not smell good to
me, so I'm thinking I need to create maven-toolchain-maven as a project and
have the DefaultMavenToolchainFactory and DefaultMavenToolchain in that
project rather than end up with 5 or 6 different plugins all having the
same/similar duplicate code.

Also in that view the DefaultJavaToolchain should probably have been/be
removed from core (in an ideal world) to make it more easily extended

-Stephen

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I'll think about that overnight... and perhaps discuss with Benjamin the
implications on IRC tomorrow.  If I feel it's better out I'll call a vote
first.

If we are taking it out I'd rather see it removed before 3.0-beta-2.

My thinking is that we remove the org.apache.maven.toolchain.java package
from core and leave the rest where it is.

My worries are the implications for plugins running against [2.0.9,3.0.0)

* If the plugin depends on the newer maven-toolchain-java artifact... will
life be ok

-Stephen

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I don't think org.apache.maven.toolchain.java should ever have been in
maven-toolchain, it should have lived in its own artifact.

maven-toolchain was tied to core, and AFAIK the core classloader will always
win in such cases, so the net result is it is not possible to add the extra
methods that were planned for JavaToolChain, e.g. getBootstrapLibraries(),
etc [not that those methods are necessarily the ones we'd want]

Still, we have org.apache.maven.toolchain.java in core and in
maven-toolchain, but I would like to extend it... except that it basically
forces a new version of maven to be able to do that, or else we have a new
set of classes, e.g. org.apache.maven.toolchain.jdk which duplicate what is
in core but add the extras and mark the stuff in
org.apache.maven.toolchain.java as deprecated

-Stephen

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Hmmmm