Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Adrian Dorsman <ad...@nbci.com> on 2000/03/02 14:28:35 UTC

xerces-c installation notes: gcc 2.95.1/sparc solaris 2.6, latest in cvs

anyone try to build xerces-c w/ this configuration?

ran into a couple of snags -- my notes are below.  Would appreciate any
help if anyone can offer...

thanks,

-Adrian

Notes:
-----
(want to build Xalan-C -- from the xalan mailing list, post from
yesterday suggests to use the latest Xerces source in cvs)

~2:30a - Just checked out the latest from xml-xerces

I encounted a couple of snags w/ the runConfigure program:

# runConfigure -psolaris -cgcc -xg++ -minmem -tnative -nlibwww

w/ -nlibwww option, w/o setting LIBWWWROOT env. variable, runConfigure
produced "test: argument expected"

set LIBWWWROOT, but configure could not verify that my compiler worked
(configure/gcc hung).  Assumed I didn't install libwww correctly (never
tested it), so I removed -nlibwww option

# runConfigure -psolaris -cgcc -xg++ -minmem -tnative

worked w/o errors

# gmake

got errors from a couple of modules (StringPool.cpp, Dummy.cpp, and a
few others):

AttrImpl.cpp: In method `void AttrImpl::setValue(const class DOMString
&)':
AttrImpl.cpp:190: warning: `catch', `throw', and `try' are all C++
reserved words
AttrImpl.cpp:193: exception handling disabled, use -fhandle-exceptions
to enable.
gmake[1]: *** [AttrImpl.o] Error 1

# runConfigure -psolaris -cgcc -xg++ -minmem -tnative
-z-fhandle-exceptions

didn't include the compiler option -fhandle-exceptions in any of the
Makefiles.  Modified runConfigure to include variable compileroption in
CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS:

> CXXFLAGS="$debugflag $compileroption $transcodingDefines
$msgloaderDefines $threadingDefines > $netaccessorDefines"
> export CXXFLAGS
>
> CFLAGS="$debugflag $compileroption $transcodingDefines
$msgloaderDefines $threadingDefines > $netaccessorDefines"
> export CFLAGS

# runConfigure -psolaris -cgcc -xg++ -minmem -tnative
-z-fhandle-exceptions
# gmake

only 1 error:

NamedNodeMapImpl.cpp: In method `class NodeImpl *
NamedNodeMapImpl::removeNamedItem(const class DOMString &)':
NamedNodeMapImpl.cpp:396: Internal compiler error.
NamedNodeMapImpl.cpp:396: Please submit a full bug report to
`bug-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu'.
gmake[1]: *** [NamedNodeMapImpl.o] Error 1

oh good -- anyone ever encounter this?

for kicks, going to try building samples

noticed in runConfigure, that the CFLAGS,CXXFLAGS vars. use
$compileroption, however $compileroption never gets assigned inside the
script.  Copied the -z $compileroption code from src/runConfig and ran:

# runConfigure -psolaris -cgcc -xg++ -z-fhandle-exceptions

looks cool.

# gmake

plenty of symbol referencing errors...  expected.

--
Adrian Dorsman

Software Engineer, NBC Internet
adriand@nbci.com, p:415.875.7953, f:415.392.9106