Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/05 00:04:00 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache MINA 2.1.0

Hi !

I'm calling for a vote of Apache MINA 2.1.0 release.

It's a branched version diverging from Apache MINA 2.0.17, with some
difference in the API. Otherwise, every changes made in 2.0.18/19/20
have been ported to this version.

The API change is that the IoFilter interface now propagates an event()
method which is used to propagate events like SslEvent.SECURED up to the
IoHandler, which makes it simpler to know that the connection has been
secured, instead of using a notification.

A temporary tag has been created (it can be removed if the vote is not
approved)

The newly approved Nexus has been used for the preparation of this
release and all final artifacts are stored
in a staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemina-1041/

The distributions are available for download on :
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/mina/mina/2.1.0/

Let us vote :
[ ] +1 | Release MINA 2.1.0
[ ] ± | Abstain
[ ] -1 | Do*NOT*   release MINA 2.1.0

Thanks !

Result, was [VOTE] Release Apache MINA 2.1.0

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys !

I'm closing this vote, with 3 binding +1:

Jeff, Jonathan and me.

I will push the packages and make the announcement?.

Thanks !

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MINA 2.1.0

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 05/03/2019 17:26, Jonathan Valliere wrote:
> I thought the IoFilter changes didn’t break anything.

Me too:/ Sadly, I can tell you that Apache LDAP API had to rollback to
2.0.18 when 2.0.19 was released, because of some breakages. This is
because we rollbacked the changes in 2.0.19, and the LDAP API have been
modified to use those changes.

Anyway... Next time, we will be more cautious before releasing something !

Posted by Jonathan Valliere <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Valliere <jo...@apache.org>.
Why not backport the IoFilter changes and go all out with a whole new SSL
design for 2.1.X?  Then give everyone 18 months of updates to 2.0.X before
being deprecated.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Valliere <jo...@apache.org>.
What in 2.1.X is not compatible with products build around 2.0.X?  Is the
effort to update a project to work with 2.1.X something that takes more
than a couple of minutes? I'm concerned with using minor version numbers as
separate products to maintain.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Valliere <jo...@apache.org>.
I just checked git, looks like 2.1.0 was updated with changes through
2.0.20.  Is this correct?  Is the plan to maintain 2.0.X separate from
2.1.X and just port the changes?

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1

Jeff