Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Krentz <cp...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/15 20:14:06 UTC

Upload data file for use in notebook

Hello - I am wondering if there is a simple way to allow a Zeppelin
Notebook user to upload a data file to use in a Zeppelin Notebook? I can
FTP a file onto the server and access it through a notebook, but this
method wouldn't work for a user with only front-end access. What I am
looking for is a way for a user to run a paragraph that would allow them to
input a path to a file on their local system, and upload it to the server.
I have looked into ways to do this through Python and Spark code, but with
no access to a DISPLAY environment variable through the web browser, and no
access to the user's local machine, I don't see a good way to do this. I
have a solution that allows them to paste their data file contents into a
text box in a paragraph and run the paragraph to save the text to a file on
the server, but this will only work for very simple text files.

The other solution I am looking into is adding an "Upload" button to the
Notebook UI that would go up where the "Export this Note" and "Version
Control" buttons are that would allow file upload through the browser, but
this requires modifying the Zeppelin UI and back-end, which I would like to
avoid.

Thanks,
Chris Krentz

Re: Upload data file for use in notebook

Posted by Xun Liu <ne...@163.com>.
Hi, Krentz

The terminal function has been added to the shell interpreter and will be released in version 0.9.0.
https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/3359 <https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/3359>

I am going to add 2 buttons to the %sh.terminal interpreter.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4222 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4222>

Add upload and download file buttons on the terminal toolbar

Upload File : Upload files locally to the server by clicking the Upload button.
Download File: Download files from the server to the local by clicking the download button