Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Kristen Hardwick <kh...@spryinc.com> on 2014/12/15 19:13:23 UTC

issue with Tez execution engine in HDP 2.2

Hi all,

We recently created a new Amazon cluster with an installation of GA HDP 2.2
from the Hortonworks website. One of the main reasons we wanted to try this
version was to use Hive with Tez with the new cost based optimizer.
However, running simple queries with Tez as the execution engine does not
work.

I created a single line file, created the Hive table for it, and ran this
query to confirm proper data load:

select * from test;

No issues, so I ran this query with the "mr" execution engine, and had
success:

select count(*) from test; -- 1

Then I ran the same query with the "tez" execution engine, and had no
success. I got the following error:

VERTICES STATUS TOTAL COMPLETED RUNNING PENDING FAILED KILLED
Map 1 FAILED 1 0 0 1 4 0
Reducer 2 KILLED 1 0 0 1 0 1
VERTICES: 00/02 [>>--------------------------] 0% ELAPSED TIME: 9.61 s
Vertex failed, vertexName=Map 1, vertexId=vertex_1418140477139_0067_1_00,
diagnostics=[Task failed, taskId=task_1418140477139_0067_1_00_000000,
diagnostics=[TaskAttempt 0 failed, info=[Error: Failure while running
task:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at
com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:72)
at
org.apache.tez.runtime.common.resources.MemoryDistributor.registerRequest(MemoryDistributor.java:158)
at
org.apache.tez.runtime.common.resources.MemoryDistributor.requestMemory(MemoryDistributor.java:97)
at
org.apache.tez.runtime.api.impl.TezTaskContextImpl.requestInitialMemory(TezTaskContextImpl.java:192)
at
org.apache.tez.runtime.library.output.OrderedPartitionedKVOutput.initialize(OrderedPartitionedKVOutput.java:95)

Have any of you seen this issue before? That "requestInitialMemory"
function failure combined with the "IllegalArgumentException" message made
me think that maybe Tez was asking for a container that was too big...but I
didn't see anything odd in the properties. Then again, I don't have a lot
of insight into what this new version of Tez requires.

Any help is appreciated! Please let me know if you need additional
information.
Kristen Hardwick

Re: issue with Tez execution engine in HDP 2.2

Posted by Vikram Dixit <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kristen,

I discussed this with tez folks and they tell me the version of tez
you have should work with that version of hive. It seems like the
request for container could have been very large (or -1 perhaps). Can
you share the hive logs as well as the application logs for this
issue. Probably worth a jira ticket for tracking purposes.

Thanks
Vikram.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: issue with Tez execution engine in HDP 2.2

Posted by Kristen Hardwick <kh...@spryinc.com>.
Vikram,

Thanks for taking a look at this. We saw that you even had a chance to meet
with the person handling the support ticket I logged, so I appreciate that.

The issue stemmed from the "tez.runtime.io.sort.mb" having an invalid
default value. There is a hardcoded maximum of 2GB on this property, but
for our installation, the default value was set to 3481. To resolve the
issue, we just needed to change the value to 2040.

- Kristen

Posted by Vikram Dixit <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kristen,

<kh...@spryinc.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > Have any of you seen this issue before? That "requestInitialMemory"
>> > function
>> > failure combined with the "IllegalArgumentException" message made me
>> > think
>> > that maybe Tez was asking for a container that was too big...but I
>> > didn't
>> > see anything odd in the properties. Then again, I don't have a lot of
>> > insight into what this new version of Tez requires.
>> >
>> > Any help is appreciated! Please let me know if you need additional
>> > information.
>> > Kristen Hardwick
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: issue with Tez execution engine in HDP 2.2

Posted by Kristen Hardwick <kh...@spryinc.com>.
Vikram,

Posted by Vikram Dixit <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Kristen,