Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Zvi Har'El <rl...@math.technion.ac.il> on 2004/04/01 17:56:30 UTC

timefmt in mod_include

Dear Apache HTTPD developers,

Apache sometimes suffers from the limitations of the OS it is built on. One
such limitation is that the C-library in SOLARIS doesn't have the %z time
format (numeric time zone), which is a GNU extension to strftime(3). It is
required to emit RFC882 conformant dates, using <!--#config timefmt="%a, %d
%b%Y %H:%M:%S %z"-->. I feel it is important enough that this limitation
should be checked in configure time and an implementation of strftime which
supprts this extension is used. This is was done, for example, in the SOLARIS
build of GNU awk, since GNU awk claims to supports this format and cannot do
it with the native library alone. As a matter of fact, gawk implementors were
pretty reluctent to do this, forcing on the user a special configuration flag,
"--with-whiny-user-strftime". I don't wish to whine, but don't you suppose
apache should have its own %z implementation?

Best,

Zvi.

--
Dr. Zvi Har'El     mailto:rl@math.technion.ac.il     Department of Mathematics
tel:+972-54-227607 icq:179294841     Technion - Israel Institute of Technology