Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/01/01 15:35:46 UTC

Re: Undeploy Error

On 31/12/2014 22:38, Mike Seda wrote:

> Please let us know what you think.

The information you provided doesn't add up.

CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
<Host appBase="webapps" ... />
-Dwebapp.path=/srv/tomcat/webapps/$1/

The web application path you are providing to your build.xml (which we
have no way of knowing what it does) does not appear to agree with your
configuration.

Whether this inconsistency is part of the problem I have no idea.

Mark

Re: Undeploy Error

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/01/2015 19:55, Mike Seda wrote:

> On 01/04/2015 11:13 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> /usr/local/tomcat/webapps is a symlink to /srv/tomcat/webapps.
>> OK. Assuming those are both local file systems then that should work.
>> That it works most of the time suggests that the symlink isn't the issue
>> (although a non-local file system might be).
>
> Both file-systems are local.

OK. I think we can rule that out for now then.

>> When undeployment fails, is the application still usable by clients?
>
> No.

I'm assuming that the app works up to the point where you try to
undeploy it, then it stops working (as if it was undeployed) but you get
the error that the undeploy failed.

Is this correct?

Is it possible that the undeploy might be being triggered twice? It
would be worth checking the access logs for requests to the Manager app.

>> The deployer uses JMX. The next step would be to connect a JMX client
>> and see if the deployed applications listed match what you expect when
>> you see one of these intermittent issues.
>
> The intermittent issue has not re-occurred yet.

OK. The access logs (if you have them) are likely to be the best avenue
of investigation until then,

Mark

Re: Undeploy Error

Posted by Mike Seda <mi...@lillegroup.com>.
On 01/04/2015 11:13 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/01/2015 02:25, Mike Seda wrote:

>>> The information you provided doesn't add up.
>>>
>>> CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
>>> <Host appBase="webapps" ... />
>>> -Dwebapp.path=/srv/tomcat/webapps/$1/
>> /usr/local/tomcat/webapps is a symlink to /srv/tomcat/webapps.
> OK. Assuming those are both local file systems then that should work.
> That it works most of the time suggests that the symlink isn't the issue
> (although a non-local file system might be).

Both file-systems are local.

> When undeployment fails, is the application still usable by clients?

No.

>>> The web application path you are providing to your build.xml (which we
>>> have no way of knowing what it does)
>> /usr/local/tomcat-deployer/build.xml is the standard build.xml provided
>> in the apache-tomcat-7.0.52-deployer tarball - obtained via the
>> following link:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
> OK.
>
> The deployer uses JMX. The next step would be to connect a JMX client
> and see if the deployed applications listed match what you expect when
> you see one of these intermittent issues.

The intermittent issue has not re-occurred yet.

> Is there any pattern to the names of the applications where you see this
> issue?

No.

Re: Undeploy Error

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/01/2015 02:25, Mike Seda wrote:
> On 01/01/2015 09:35 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 31/12/2014 22:38, Mike Seda wrote:
>>
>>> Please let us know what you think.
>> The information you provided doesn't add up.
>>
>> CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
>> <Host appBase="webapps" ... />
>> -Dwebapp.path=/srv/tomcat/webapps/$1/
>
> /usr/local/tomcat/webapps is a symlink to /srv/tomcat/webapps.

OK. Assuming those are both local file systems then that should work.
That it works most of the time suggests that the symlink isn't the issue
(although a non-local file system might be).

When undeployment fails, is the application still usable by clients?

>> The web application path you are providing to your build.xml (which we
>> have no way of knowing what it does)
>
> /usr/local/tomcat-deployer/build.xml is the standard build.xml provided
> in the apache-tomcat-7.0.52-deployer tarball - obtained via the
> following link:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

OK.

The deployer uses JMX. The next step would be to connect a JMX client
and see if the deployed applications listed match what you expect when
you see one of these intermittent issues.

Is there any pattern to the names of the applications where you see this
issue? I'm just wondering if the path <-> JMX name translation is a
factor in this.

Mark

Re: Undeploy Error

Posted by Mike Seda <mi...@lillegroup.com>.
On 01/01/2015 09:35 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 31/12/2014 22:38, Mike Seda wrote:
>
>> Please let us know what you think.
> The information you provided doesn't add up.
>
> CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat
> <Host appBase="webapps" ... />
> -Dwebapp.path=/srv/tomcat/webapps/$1/

/usr/local/tomcat/webapps is a symlink to /srv/tomcat/webapps.

> The web application path you are providing to your build.xml (which we
> have no way of knowing what it does)

/usr/local/tomcat-deployer/build.xml is the standard build.xml provided
in the apache-tomcat-7.0.52-deployer tarball - obtained via the
following link:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

The file is attached for your convenience.