Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2004/12/12 09:59:29 UTC

Re: recognizing spam sent by viruses

>> Also, do these viruses ever use the SMTP server set up on that computer in
>> Outlook (via Windows registry), or do they always use external third-party
>> smtp servers for sending the spam?
>>
>> (I'm researching this as a prerequisite to trying some additional anti-spam
>> strategies.)

>> always <<
I have seen some rubbish in german, a while ago, and seemingly built for the german infrastructure:
A high percentage of private internet access goes through a provider that does not authenticate
smtp, since they already have authenticated the connection.
The rubbish took advantage of that and was sending via the official mail server

A lot of other spam I receive is sent straight from the client's ip address to the target MX,
where outlook would - hopefully - send to the smarthost server first

Wolfgang