Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/04/24 16:05:07 UTC

[Framework] Parameters/Configuration Inconsistency

Hi,

There is an inconsistent naming of the method

get<Blah>AsInt/get<Blah>AsInteger

Parameters uses second form while Configuration uses first. The 2nd form
follows the format of all the others (ie get<Blah>AsLong(),
get<Blah>AsBoolean()...) however as Configuration is more often used (and
thus change may break code to change it) I am not sure which to change -
preferences?
Cheers,

Pete

RE: [Framework] Parameters/Configuration Inconsistency

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
> Lets match what the equivilent java.lang.* counterpart is for the rule.

+1

LSD

Re: [Framework] Parameters/Configuration Inconsistency

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is an inconsistent naming of the method
>
> get<Blah>AsInt/get<Blah>AsInteger
>
> Parameters uses second form while Configuration uses first. The 2nd form
> follows the format of all the others (ie get<Blah>AsLong(),
> get<Blah>AsBoolean()...) however as Configuration is more often used (and
> thus change may break code to change it) I am not sure which to change -
> preferences?
> Cheers,

Lets match what the equivilent java.lang.* counterpart is for the rule.
So, in this case it would be get<blah>AsInteger.

I am (obviously) +1 for this approach.  It will help with all future conflicts,
(Parameters vs. Configuration vs. some other new object), and it is familiar
with java developers.