Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/04/04 20:20:08 UTC

Re: [apache-modules] License questen

At 08:09 AM 4/3/2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>At 11:26 PM 4/1/2005, Manfred Rebentisch wrote:
>>Hello,
>>does somebody known a german translation of the Apache License?
>
>There isn't an official one since the English version is binding.
>It would be good to have non-authoritative translations, but these
>things get tricky.

I was considering this - it comes up often.

What would be our criteria for publishing a non-authoritative
license for guidance purposes only?

What masthead language would be required to reflect that the
English version is authoritative?

We have a general policy on docs@httpd that every translation
must be validated by a second, independent individual.  I'd
suggest something similar, one by a native speaker, one by a
English native speaker with the translated language as a fluent,
second language.  The difference?  The translators would have
to have legal credentials in the translated language, to properly
represent the meaning of what the English license means.

What are your thoughts, legal eagles?  Is this something we can,
or should do?  And how would we best proceed?

Bill