Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com> on 2008/03/17 23:08:04 UTC

Lucene 2.3.1 Index Corruption?

Hi There

I am getting the following error while searching a given index:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/local/index/_0.fdt (No such file or
directory)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:506)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:536)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:445)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.<init>(FieldsReader.java:75)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.initialize(SegmentReader.java:308)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:262)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:197)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.MultiSegmentReader.<init>(MultiSegmentReader.java:55)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader$1.doBody(DirectoryIndexReader.java:75)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:636)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader.open(DirectoryIndexReader.java:63)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:209)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:173)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(IndexSearcher.java:48)

My software used to work perfectly under earlier versions of Lucene.
Since I upgraded to 2.3.1, this problem has arisen.

I seriously worried my customer's indexes will be corrupted. Lucene
expects to find a file that does not exist.

Any ideas on what might be happening and how to rectify this?

Jamie

Re: Lucene 2.3.1 Index Corruption?

Posted by Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>.
As a further followup:

The follows files are located in the index:

 ls /usr/local/index
_0.fnm  _0.frq  _0.nrm  _0.prx  _0.tii  _0.tis  _1.cfs  indexinfo
_j.cfs  segments.gen  segments_s

This problem appears to be intermittant and has occurred on several
machines. Is there any incorrect way that I could be using Lucene such
that this problem would occur?

Jamie

--
Stimulus Software - MailArchiva
Email Archiving And Compliance

To receive MailArchiva Enterprise Edition product announcements, send a message to: <ma...@stimulussoft.com>

Re: Lucene 2.3.1 Index Corruption?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
OK, opening two writers at once is definitely a recipe for disaster.

Please post back on whether this does or doesn't resolve it.

Previous versions of Lucene didn't write the fdt/fdx files until a
segment is flushed, so it's possible you escaped index corruption
(but, lost documents) before.  But with 2.3, Lucene has become more
sensitive to two writers at once.

Mike

Posted by Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
It looks like you ignore any IOException coming out of
IndexWriter.close?  Can you put some code in the catch clause around
writer.close to see if you are hitting some exception there?

Also, you forcefully remove the write lock if it's present.  But are
you absolutely certain there isn't another writer actually writing to
that index directory?

Do you copy the index or alter it in some way?  One strange thing in

Posted by Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>.
Hi Michael

Michael McCandless wrote:

> [...]

                    }
            }

              public void prepareIndex(Volume volume) throws
MessageSearchException {

                  if (volume==null)
                            throw new MessageSearchException("assertion
failure: null volume",logger);

                  if (volume.getIndexPath().startsWith("rmi://"))
                          return;

                  File indexDir = new File(volume.getIndexPath());
                  if (!indexDir.exists()) {
                    logger.info("index directory does not exist. will
proceed with creation {location='" + volume.getIndexPath() + "'}");
                    boolean success = indexDir.mkdir();
                    if (!success)
                            throw new MessageSearchException("failed to
create index directory {location='" + volume.getIndexPath() + "'}",logger);
                    logger.info("index directory successfully created
{location='" + volume.getIndexPath() + "'}");

            public void indexMessage(Email message) throws
MessageSearchException  {
                long s = (new Date()).getTime();
                if (message == null)
                    throw new MessageSearchException("assertion failure:
null message",logger);
                logger.debug("indexing message {"+message+"}");

                Document doc = new Document();
                try {
                   writeMessageToDocument(message,doc);
                   String language = doc.get("lang");
                   if (language==null)
                       language = getIndexLanguage();
                           synchronized (indexLock) {
                               openIndex();

writer.addDocument(doc,AnalyzerFactory.getAnalyzer(language,AnalyzerFactory.Operation.INDEX));
                           }
                   logger.debug("message indexed successfully
{"+message+",language='"+language+"'}");
                } catch (MessagingException me)
                {
                   throw new MessageSearchException("failed to decode
message during indexing",me,logger);
                } catch (IOException me) {
                    throw new MessageSearchException("failed to index
message {"+message+"}",me,logger);
                } catch (ExtractionException ee)
                {
                   throw new MessageSearchException("failed to decode
attachments in message {"+message+"}",ee,logger);
                } catch (Exception e) {
                    throw new MessageSearchException("failed to index
message",e,logger);
                }

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Hi,

Can you describe what led up to this?  Were there any exceptions when
adding documents to the index?  Was the index newly created with
2.3.1 or created on 2.3.0 or 2.2?

What options are you using in your IndexWriter?

Is it easy to reproduce?  If so, can you call setInfoStream on your