Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com> on 2021/01/15 09:36:16 UTC

JDK 16 is now in Rampdown Phase Two

Hi Mark,

*Per the JDK 16 schedule , we are in Rampdown Phase Two* *[1] .
*

*Please advise if you find any issues while testing the latest Early
Access builds.*

  * Schedule for JDK 16
      o *2021/01/14  Rampdown Phase Two*
      o 2021/02/04  Initial Release Candidate
      o 2021/02/18  Final Release Candidate
      o 2021/03/16  General Availability
  * Release Notes [2]

OpenJDK 16 Early Access build 32**is now available at
http://jdk.java.net/16

  * These early-access, open-source builds are provided under the GNU
    General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>.
  * Features [3] - the overall feature set is frozen. No further JEPs
    will be targeted to this release.
  * Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
      o Build 32:
          + JDK-8259028 - ClassCastException when using custom
            filesystem with wrapper FileChannel impl
              # Apache Lucene found.
          + JDK-8253996 - Javac error on jdk16 build 18: invalid flag:
            -Xdoclint:-missing
              # Apache Zookeeper found.
      o Build 31:
          + JDK-8259027: NullPointerException in makeMappedSegment due
            to NULL Unmapper when length of segment is 0
              # Reported by Apache Lucene
      o Build 30:
          + JDK-8254023: A module declaration is not allowed to be a
            target of an annotation that lacks an @Target meta-annotation
              # Reported by JUnit5
          + JDK-8256693: getAnnotatedReceiverType parameterizes types
            too eagerly

  * JDK 16 - topics of interest
      o Investigating MD5 overheads:
        https://cl4es.github.io/2021/01/04/Investigating-MD5-Overheads.html
      o Towards OpenJDK 17 - a quick update on startup performance
        https://cl4es.github.io/2020/12/06/Towards-OpenJDK-17.html
      o Migrating OpenJDK to Git & GitHub - GitHub Universe 2020 session
        replay
        https://inside.java/2020/12/11/skara-github-universe/

Project Panama/foreign EA Build 16-panama+3-385 (2020/12/10)
<https://jdk.java.net/panama/> is available now [4]

  * What's new
      o jextract is now fully compatible with Java 16
      o New architecture based on Foreign-Memory Access API (JEP 370
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/370>, JEP 383
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/383>, JEP 393
        <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/393>) and Foreign Linker API (JEP
        389 <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/389>)

  * These early-access builds are provided under the GNU General Public
    License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>
  * EA builds are produced for the purpose of gathering feedback. Use
    for any other purpose is at your own risk.
  * Please send feedback via e-mail to panama-dev@openjdk.java.net
    <pa...@openjdk.java.net>. To send e-mail to this address you
    must first subscribe to the mailing list
    <https://mail.openjdk.java.net/mailman/listinfo/panama-dev>.

  * Project Panama - topics of interest
      o “The Vector API” with John Rose and Paul Sandoz
        https://inside.java/2020/11/17/podcast-007/
      o “The Foreign Memory Access API” with Maurizio Cimadamore and
        Jorn Vernee
        https://inside.java/2020/12/11/podcast-009/
      o “The Foreign Linker API” with Maurizio Cimadamore and Jorn Vernee
        https://inside.java/2020/12/21/podcast-010/

OpenJDK 17 Early Access build 5**is now available at http://jdk.java.net/17

  * These early-access, open-source builds are provided under the GNU
    General Public License, version 2, with the Classpath Exception
    <http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html>.
  * Changes in recent builds that maybe of interest:
      o Build 4:
          + JDK-8258800: Deprecate -XX:+AlwaysLockClassLoader
      o Build 3:
          + JDK-8246005: KeyStoreSpi::engineStore(LoadStoreParameter)
            spec mismatch to its behavior
          + JDK-8258765: getAnnotatedReceiverType parameterizes types
            too eagerly
  * JDK 17 - topic of interest
      o Towards OpenJDK 17 - a quick update on startup performance:
          + https://cl4es.github.io/2020/12/06/Towards-OpenJDK-17.html

Java Cryptographic Roadmap [5] has been updated

  * Removing root certificates with 1024-bit keys in July 2021 CPU.
  * Disabling of SHA-1 JARS signed after 2019-01-01 has been postponed
    to July 2021 CPU.

Rgds, Rory

[1] https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2021-January/005001.html
[2] https://jdk.java.net/16/release-notes