Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org> on 2005/09/04 23:40:00 UTC

Re: some (other) questions about svn:externals

On 26-Aug-05, at 12:38 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> 2) regarding best practice, i note in the latest version of the book
> an example of externals:
>
> $ svn propget svn:externals calc
> third-party/sounds             http://sounds.red-bean.com/repos
> third-party/skins              ...
> third-party/skins/toolkit -r21 ...
>
> obviously, an external reference can represent a subdirectory multiple
> levels down, like in that last line.  but i could swear i read
> somewhere that it's preferable to create the intermediate directories
> themselves and that externals should refer only to immediate
> subdirectories.  am i just imagining this?

No, this is a very bad idea.  On a Mac this will create directories
with the slash in the name.  They will all be at the same level.  The
problem here is that the path separator is not handled in a friendly
cross-platform way.

Scott

P.S. Sorry for the late reply.. I was on vacation far away from the
internet. :)

Re: some (other) questions about svn:externals

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>.
On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Scott Palmer wrote:

> On 26-Aug-05, at 12:38 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > 2) regarding best practice, i note in the latest version of the book
> > an example of externals:
> >
> > $ svn propget svn:externals calc
> > third-party/sounds             http://sounds.red-bean.com/repos
> > third-party/skins              ...
> > third-party/skins/toolkit -r21 ...
> >
> > obviously, an external reference can represent a subdirectory multiple
> > levels down, like in that last line.  but i could swear i read
> > somewhere that it's preferable to create the intermediate directories
> > themselves and that externals should refer only to immediate
> > subdirectories.  am i just imagining this?
>
> No, this is a very bad idea.  On a Mac this will create directories
> with the slash in the name.  They will all be at the same level.
> The problem here is that the path separator is not handled in a
> friendly cross-platform way.

so you're saying that the example above represents bad practice then?
if so, that should probably be mentioned in the book.

rday

Re: some (other) questions about svn:externals

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 4-Sep-05, at 10:50 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Scott Palmer wrote:
>> On 26-Aug-05, at 12:38 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>> 2) regarding best practice, i note in the latest version of the book
>>> an example of externals:
>>>
>>> $ svn propget svn:externals calc
>>> third-party/sounds             http://sounds.red-bean.com/repos
>>> third-party/skins              ...
>>> third-party/skins/toolkit -r21 ...
>>>
>>> obviously, an external reference can represent a subdirectory
>>> multiple
>>> levels down, like in that last line.  but i could swear i read
>>> somewhere that it's preferable to create the intermediate
>>> directories
>>> themselves and that externals should refer only to immediate
>>> subdirectories.  am i just imagining this?
>>>

>> No, this is a very bad idea.  On a Mac this will create
>> directories with the slash in the name.  They will all be at the
>> same level.  The problem here is that the path separator is not
>> handled in a friendly cross-platform way.
>
> Huh?  Can you to elaborate?  Have you actually observed this on a
> mac?  I don't understand.

Ah, sorry... if you do this on Windows using a BACKSLASH you end up
with folders with a backslash in the name on the Mac.  The forward
slash MIGHT work properly when you check out on Windows.. I haven't
tried.  The point is you can't use your platform's normal path
separator if you are on Windows... even though it appears to work

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

--
www.collab.net  <>  CollabNet  |  Distributed Development On Demand