Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/01/16 20:00:25 UTC

Apache 1.2.5 Win32 Platform Port Project (fwd)

I really don't understand why they want to use an old version that will
never be integrated, not work with us but instead insist on doing their
own thing, etc.

I am concerned about them calling it Apache since it is not and just
confuses things. I would suggest they are violating the licence.

I don't mean to discourage anyone, but... I'm not thrilled with this.

Posted by David Cure <Da...@ifremer.fr>.
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> > Has anyone succeeded in compiling the server with g++? It sure would be
> > useful for adding C++ code to modules ...
>
> The Apache code is not currently compatible with C++. This is a known
> issue, and plans to make it so are AFAIK hazy. It is, I believe, a simple
> change, but I can't say for certain off the top of my head.

	I manage to compile Apache in C++ with g++ (I've made a module to
connect Apache with SGBDR, and the code is write with C++).

	That's what I made to compile :

	o add #ifdef __cplusplus in all file,
	o change all variable named pool to ptr_pool

	David.
--
 David Cure - Ifremer - DITI/IDT/ISI - BP70 - 29280 PLOUZANE -  FRANCE
            ISI : Ingenierie des Systemes d'Information

Re: Do C functions for modules have man pages or other documentation?

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Michael Anderson wrote:

> I'm writing a module to gateway a middleware package to the server, but
> I've been unable to find any listing, man pages, or other documentation
> for the C functions available to module writers, such as
> get_module_config(), palloc(), or send_http_header().
>
> I've searched the htdocs directory, FAQ, API doc, www.apache.org, and
> dev.apache.org without success. Anyone know where to find this guy?

It doesn't exist. The Apache Group does not have documentation, beyond the
sketch provided two years ago by Rob Thau in API.html, for the module API.
The best you can do is to peruse the source files, especially the public
header files and the standard modules, for examples.

We are currently hoping that Apache 2.0, when it is released in perhaps
six months to a year's time, will come with complete API documentation,
but that is off in the future.

You might also consider purchasing one of the several books published on
Apache, some of which have been written by members of the Apache
Group and contain information on coding for the API.

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>

Do C functions for modules have man pages or other documentation?

Posted by Michael Anderson <mk...@redes.int.com.mx>.
I'm writing a module to gateway a middleware package to the server, but
I've been unable to find any listing, man pages, or other documentation
for the C functions available to module writers, such as
get_module_config(), palloc(), or send_http_header().

I've searched the htdocs directory, FAQ, API doc, www.apache.org, and
dev.apache.org without success. Anyone know where to find this guy?

Has anyone succeeded in compiling the server with g++? It sure would be
useful for adding C++ code to modules ...
--

Mike Anderson
mka@redes.int.com.mx

Re: Apache 1.2.5 Win32 Platform Port Project (fwd)

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ta...@prairie.NoDak.edu>.
>From his project home page, I would say the guy just has nothing
else to do.

If I were him, I would learn how to forward e-mail first so that I wouldn't
have to check my e-mail at four places (see below) :)

igor

E-MAIL SUPPORT:

If you have bug reports or any problems configuring the Apache server
please send me a message to one of the following addresses. (You will
receive the fastest reply when you send copies of your mail to all
addresses.)

Stipe Tolj, Supercomputing Facilities, Heinrich Heine University of
Düsseldorf, (tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de)
Stipe Tolj, Institute of Mathematics, University of Cologne,
(stolj@mi.uni-koeln.de)
Stipe Tolj, Regional Supercomputing Facilities, University of Cologne,
(a2790298@smail.rrz.uni-koeln.de)
Stipe Tolj, Department of Computer Science, University of Cologne,
(a2790289@poolserver.informatik.uni-koeln.de)

Re: Apache 1.2.5 Win32 Platform Port Project (fwd)

Posted by ra...@bellglobal.com.
> Especially since they are calling it Apache with only minor distinctions:
>
> 1.2.5 (i386/Win32-0.3.1a-[100198])
> Apache 1.2.5 (i386/Win32)
> This is Apache 1.2.5 (i386/Win32-0.3.1a-[100198]) HTTP daemon
> Compiled with Cygnus GNU C/C++ 2.7.2 b18
> Win32 port by Stipe Tolj (tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de, stolj@mi.uni-koeln.de)
> All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 1995-1997 The Apache Group for the
> orginal
> source distribution at (http://www.apache.org).
> Copyright (c) 1997-1998 Stipe Tolj for Win32 systems port distribution at
> (http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~tolj).

Apache pretty well compiles out of the box using gnu-win32 gcc.  I got
it running over a year ago using the Cygnus gcc on my Win95 box.  I only
had to fiddle with the code a little bit.  I didn't port anything and I
don't understand what this project is all about.

-Rasmus

Re: Apache 1.2.5 Win32 Platform Port Project (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Especially since they are calling it Apache with only minor distinctions:

1.2.5 (i386/Win32-0.3.1a-[100198])
Apache 1.2.5 (i386/Win32)
This is Apache 1.2.5 (i386/Win32-0.3.1a-[100198]) HTTP daemon
Compiled with Cygnus GNU C/C++ 2.7.2 b18
Win32 port by Stipe Tolj (tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de, stolj@mi.uni-koeln.de)
All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 1995-1997 The Apache Group for the
orginal
source distribution at (http://www.apache.org).
Copyright (c) 1997-1998 Stipe Tolj for Win32 systems port distribution at
(http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~tolj).

And for directory indexes:

/td>
/td>
/td>
/font></td>

They ain't just porting to cygwin32, but are doing other things.  It
ain't Apache, it shouldn't be called Apache.