Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by jamesuser <ja...@indiatimes.com> on 2006/01/15 05:56:20 UTC

Remote Delivery problem when mailing external users

First of all, I would like to say thanks to the developers for this wonderful piece of software and for the great support they are offering through this mailing list.

I am a JAMES 2.2.0 user since yesterday but I have been working at it a lot. I configured a test account and sent mail to myself and it works. I want to try to send mails to other id's as well and this is where I face problems.

This is a snippet from my mailet log.

15/06/06 20:30:33 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Could not connect to SMTP host: 157.227.246.120, port: 25, response: -1
15/06/06 20:30:33 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary exception delivering mail (Mail1150382429871-0-to-tcs.com: javax.mail.MessagingException: No mail server(s) available at this time.
	at org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDelivery.java:617)
	at org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.run(RemoteDelivery.java:912)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

I have enabled autoDNS discovery and it is discovering correctly. I dont know what the problem is. To certain domains if i send mail, it says in my log,

javax.mail.MessagingException: There are no DNS entries for the hostname yahoo.com.  I cannot determine where to send this message.
	at org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDelivery.java:398)
	at org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.run(RemoteDelivery.java:912)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Finally, it stores all these mails in my outgoing folder. I am using file repository.

I was playing around with the config.xml file. Once, I set the repository path wrongly as dbfile://var/mail/something .. It just generated so many NullPointerExceptions that the log files took up 500 MB of space and I had to kill the JVM.

I am running james on win2k, if that means anything.

Thanks.

Re: Remote Delivery problem when mailing external users

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Read the autodiscovered DNS IPs from the logs.
execute cmd

# nslookup
 > server <dns server ip you found in the log>
 > domain.com

Look for lines containing "MX preference" or "mail exchanger".
You should see at least one of them.. if not then you have system
problems (dns/windows).

Stefano