Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Doug Knesek <do...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/16 06:00:17 UTC

CruiseConrol/Maven Setup Help

I am trying to do continuous integration of many
interdependent projects.  I have read the other
CruiseControl threads and have not been able to put
together the "Big Picture", or find any roughly
complete HowTo information.  So I thought I would try
again.

Specifically, here are my goals:

1) I want changes in one project to trigger build/test
of all dependent projects with e-mails being sent to a
different address for each dependent build that fails.

2) I want to be able to go to my Maven site and access
reports on all the projects in a MultiProject style
site.

3) I want to set up all my projects in Maven rather
than CruiseControl because I already know how to set
up multiproject POMs.

Here is what I am guessing:

1) CruiseControl should invoke Maven instead of vice
versa, because CruiseControl knows when projects have
changed.

2) Maven should create the CruiseControl configuration
files using the CruiseControl plugin.

Here are my big questions:

1) Is what I'm suggesting correct?

2) If not, what is a better arrangement between Maven
and CruiseControl.

3) How do I set this up?

4) Can anyone provide somewhat complete example files
or documentation for doing this?

Thank everyone in advance.

- Doug

Re: CruiseConrol/Maven Setup Help

Posted by Doug Knesek <do...@yahoo.com>.
Below is my speculation about the allocation of
responsibilities between Maven and CC:

CC:

1) Timing - Determines when to trigger builds
  a) Knows when source files change using <cvs> and
triggers build via <schedule><maven>.
  b) Knows when a dependency snapshot changes using
<mavensnapshotdependency> and triggers build.

2) Mail - Mails someone for each project that fails

Maven:

3) Build/Test - Peforms a build/test triggered by CC
via <schedule><maven>.

4) Site - creates multiproject site after a build
sequence.

Now here are some questions:

1) How does CC automatically learn about the
dependencies in my project.xml so that it can fulfill
responsibility 1b.

2) How does CC automatically learn about the nag
e-mail address in my project.xml so that it can
fulfill responsibility 2.

3) How does CC know if a Maven build fails so that it
can fulfill responsibility 3.

4) How does CC trigger Maven multiptoject:site and
site:deploy _after_ all the builds are done.

Thanks again.

-Doug

Re: maven.scm.method=ClearCase ?

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
cool, Now I need to learn subversion

-D

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
will it works with maven 1.0.2?

maven.scm.method=ClearCase ?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Janos,

maven.scm.method=ClearCase ?

Posted by Janos Mucsi <mu...@yahoo.com>.
Hi
Is there any step-by-step guide to integrate
CruiseControl with ClearCase?
Thanks.

Re: CruiseConrol/Maven Setup Help

Posted by Erik Husby <mh...@broad.mit.edu>.
Do

>Here is what I am guessing:
>
>1) CruiseControl should invoke Maven instead of vice
>versa, because CruiseControl knows when projects have
>changed.

I am not a CruiseControl expert, but CruiseControl 2.2 can directly
invoke Maven. I've just started experimenting with this.

>2) Maven should create the CruiseControl configuration
>files using the CruiseControl plugin.

There is a Maven plugin for this -- but I have no direct experience with it.

>Here are my big questions:
>
>1) Is what I'm suggesting correct?

Yes

>2) If not, what is a better arrangement between Maven
>and CruiseControl.
>
>3) How do I set this up?

Well, I started by reading the CruiseControl documentation and starting
with a simple project. So Far So Good. Have not gotten the CruiseControl
maven dependency check to work but right now CruiseControl has moved to
the bottom of the todo list.

>4) Can anyone provide somewhat complete example files
>or documentation for doing this?

Check the CruiseControl documenation and ask questions on their