Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2019/09/16 12:38:00 UTC

troubles renaming git uima-uimaj trunk to master

This Jira issue for INFRA was created to do that

However, INFRA declined to do this, saying "Branch renaming is not an infra
task, this is something you would do with git itself."

I tried, and as expected, the fact that the branch is "protected" makes the
update push get rejected.

(I tried on gitbox.apache.org, in case that didn't implement protection like
github.com/apache does.)

I posted this as a request back to infra, showing the failure and asking how the
rename should be done.

If anyone knows, please post a response here :-) .

-Marshall

Re: troubles renaming git uima-uimaj trunk to master

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 16. Sep 2019, at 14:38, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> I posted this as a request back to infra, showing the failure and asking how the
> rename should be done.

Push trunk as master or create a master branch based on trunk.

Ask INFRA to un-protect trunk and to protect master instead.

Delete trunk.

Bingo :)

-- Richard

Re: troubles renaming git uima-uimaj trunk to master

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
One possible way around this would be to change the rename step on the remote from

git push origin :old-name new-name

to a version which didn't delete the old name, but instead, just pushed the new
name:

git push origin -u new-name   (leaving out: git push origin --delete old-name

The worry I have with that is because "trunk" will still be visible, people
might accidentally try using that.

WDYT? -M