Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <ku...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/14 20:51:42 UTC

Configuring tomcat to be a kerberos client

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a defined way to configuring tomcat to act as a
kerberos client? I have a web application running within tomcat that would
be accessing a kerberos secured service. My initial thought was that
similar to other java based services, running a simple "kinit" to get the
ticket and then running the webapp should do the trick, but that did not
work as expected.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Swarnim

Re: Configuring tomcat to be a kerberos client

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a defined way to configuring tomcat to act as a
> kerberos client? I have a web application running within tomcat that would
> be accessing a kerberos secured service. My initial thought was that
> similar to other java based services, running a simple "kinit" to get the
> ticket and then running the webapp should do the trick, but that did not
> work as expected.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi.
You are giving few details about what you are really trying to do or what exactly isn't
working as expected, but I believe that the issue here may be a question of perspective.
Your Tomcat potentially runs many instances of many webapps, on behalf of many clients
(users).  It would be each such instance of a running webapp that would be the "Kerberos
client", and would need its own ticket.
(Or, if your webapp runs in a "client session" context, each such session might be a
Kerberos client and need its own ticket).
Does it make sense in your context to have a "global ticket" at the Tomcat level, being
used by any client that runs any webapp within Tomcat ?
Or am I misunderstanding your question above ?