Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/29 14:11:27 UTC

Re: svn commit: r830912 - in /incubator/pivot/trunk/wtk: src/org/apache/pivot/wtk/skin/terra/TerraSheetSkin.java test/org/apache/pivot/wtk/test/SheetTest.java

Hi Greg,
this works :-) , but executing the test application i get a strange thing:
on the horizontal axis if i resize too much (for example to the right
side), the right size doesn't go outside the screen but the left yes
(as seen in the attached screenshot). In the vertical axis all is good
(none outside screen).

And if i re-open the sheet is has the same dimensions of last resize
... this is wanted ?

Thanks,
Sandro

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Note that Greg's change was just to reposition the resize handle...

this works :-) , but executing the test application i get a strange thing:
> on the horizontal axis if i resize too much (for example to the right
> side), the right size doesn't go outside the screen but the left yes
> (as seen in the attached screenshot). In the vertical axis all is good
> (none outside screen).

 The sheet always centers itself over its owner - even if it causes some of
it to go outside the display.  This is correct behavior.

> And if i re-open the sheet is has the same dimensions of last resize
> ... this is wanted ?

If you re-use the sheet, as is done in the test, then its preferred size is
still set, so yes, that's correct.  If you didn't want this, then the app
could reset the preferred size of the sheet or re-create a new sheet.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>> It depends on where the window is on the screen when you resize it.
>> If the
>> window was positioned exactly in the middle of the screen, I
>> imagine that
>> the left side would also remain on the screen.
> Ok, but wouldn't it be better (from final user point of view) that the
> resize should stay inside the screen (like all other Pivot elements) ?
> Or at least provide an optional flag to enable this ?

I don't think that is necessary or appropriate. No windowing toolkit
that I know of ensures that windows always remain within the display
bounds. To me, this is no different than moving the right or left edge
of a frame offscreen by dragging the title bar.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, no problem.

Thanks,
Sandro

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Ah.  I think it's a valid desire but also lower priority than any of the
existing pre-2.0 tickets.  I agree that we can look at this with the new
L&F.

-T

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,
> I've always seen scroll bars appear when I scale the display - are you sure that you have your content in a ScrollPane?
Oh now I understand the trick ... and for example in the "Kitchen
Sink" all is good, while in others test applications not, and this is
the reason.

Thanks you very much.

Ah, on the resize with keyboard modifiers (like in many graphics
applications, but but graphics elements there) what do you think ?

Bye,
Sandro

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn commit: r830912

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>But I've seen that also the external space of the application (near
>the border of the application, i hope to be clear, if not tell me) is
>scaled (and it's a waste of space) ... but we can live with it, no
>problem.

That is correct - everything is scaled, including padding.

Re: svn commit: r830912

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> I personally don't see a strong use case for investing the time in implementing something like this. However, maybe for version 2.0 when we revisit the L&F design.
Ok, I agree with you, so let's see it for the future.

> If you zoom in on an app that uses a scroll pane, you will see the scroll bars (try zooming in on the Kitchen Sink demo).
Thank you, also Todd said to me the same.

Re: svn commit: r830912

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
> Multiple drag handles are not part of the Terra L&F.
I've seen, right.

But let me explain another idea for handling resize (for sheets,
frames, windows, etc):
as in many graphics programs (for example Inkscape) it's possible to
resize an object with the mouse in the following ways:
- standard (the default behavior), as currently (for sheet in a way,
for windows and frames in another, ok)
- using <ALT> click, drag (or move)
- using <CTRL> click, resize (from the selected handle, and in our
case lower right corner) but using the same proportion (width and
height ratio)
- using <SHIFT> click, resize (free, without constraints) but from the center

Comments ?

Ah, sorry, one last thing but not related to this, but on the Scaling
on the interface:
I've seen that when zooming in no scrollbars appears so it's not
possible to see other parts of the application (I have to zoom out,
point the mouse at the center of the area, then zoom in) ... it's not
a big problem, but for example browsers have this.

What do you think ?

Bye

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
> > It depends on where the window is on the screen when you resize it. If
> the
> > window was positioned exactly in the middle of the screen, I imagine that
> > the left side would also remain on the screen.
> Ok, but wouldn't it be better (from final user point of view) that the
> resize should stay inside the screen (like all other Pivot elements) ?
> Or at least provide an optional flag to enable this ?

I personally don't think so.  We don't prevent the user from dragging
windows partially off the display either, just as operating system window
managers don't prevent you from dragging windows partially off-screen.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,

>> this works :-) , but executing the test application i get a strange thing:
>> on the horizontal axis if i resize too much (for example to the right
>> side), the right size doesn't go outside the screen but the left yes
>> (as seen in the attached screenshot). In the vertical axis all is good
>> (none outside screen).
>
> It depends on where the window is on the screen when you resize it. If the
> window was positioned exactly in the middle of the screen, I imagine that
> the left side would also remain on the screen.
Ok, but wouldn't it be better (from final user point of view) that the
resize should stay inside the screen (like all other Pivot elements) ?
Or at least provide an optional flag to enable this ?

>> And if i re-open the sheet is has the same dimensions of last resize
>> ... this is wanted ?
>
> I would think so. If an app doesn't want this behavior, it can call
> setPreferredSize(-1, -1) before re-opening the window.
Ok, thanks.

Bye

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Noel actually implemented this, but here are my thoughts: