Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net> on 2002/11/27 04:01:36 UTC

[users@httpd] how can i remove the STICKY httpd 1.3* ?

hi guys,
    i have a sticky httpd of 1.3.* on RHL 7.2 that is not shown in the
server processes when i type ps -aux, even when i get into linuxconf and
remove it from automatic starting up during starting, then checking up in
the browser with 127.0.0.1, it gimme the page !!!!
i have download apache2 but - ofcourse - i cann't make it run b4 i stop the
old one that catch port 80, i cann't even type - on the old one -
httpd --stop nor anything that make sense !!!

how can i *ERADICATE* the old httpd ?

thx v. much

--
Hytham Shehab

Re: [users@httpd] how can i remove the STICKY httpd 1.3* ?

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:35:35 +0200, Hytham Shehab wrote:

>> netstat -ap | grep LISTEN | grep http
>>
>> There will be a line that reads similar to:
>> tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
>> 2294/httpd
>i run the command and the line was shown up *BUT* withouth the 2294 or any
>digit, it was containing '-' !!!

Will you please copy/paste or transcribe *exactly* the line that you
get?  If something is "listening," it must be running and therefore have
a pid.  Another way to find the info you want is to run
	ps aux | grep httpd  # I think this is the right name for your
								# dist (RH?)
If your config is mostly default, you will get about 6 or so processes
listed.  In column 1, is the user(owner) of the process.  Look for
"root."  That's the one you want.	In column 2 is the pid.  Do 'kill -9
<pid>'.  Run 'ps aux' again.  You may have to do a kill on the other
httpd's if killing the parent didn't take out the children.

>> You have to kill whatever is listening, in this case it is process 2294,
>> httpd (apache).  For example, I would type in `kill -9 2294`.
>as i said, there was no process for it !

If it's running, there is a process ID.  We just need to identify it.

--
gt       kk5st@sbcglobal.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---

Re: [users@httpd] how can i remove the STICKY httpd 1.3* ?

Posted by Richard Hector <rh...@actrix.gen.nz>.
On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 18:18, Hytham Shehab wrote:
> > This is probably way off - you haven't got that in-kernel webserver that
> > was going for a speed record a while ago? I don't know if it ever got to
> > the production stage, but I think it was Red Hat who were doing it ...
> > in that case you'd be looking for a kernel module.
> >
> > Richard
> and then how can i figure out that i got this damn version !!
> but rest assured that there is no PID to the listening service, so u might
> be right.
> but then what is the solution !?

Try lsmod (list modules - run as root) and look for khttpd

I hadn't realised it was actually in the main kernel, but I have it on
my (Debian) system, so maybe it's more common than I thought.

Richard

Re: [users@httpd] how can i remove the STICKY httpd 1.3* ?

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
> This is probably way off - you haven't got that in-kernel webserver that
> was going for a speed record a while ago? I don't know if it ever got to
> the production stage, but I think it was Red Hat who were doing it ...
> in that case you'd be looking for a kernel module.
>
> Richard
and then how can i figure out that i got this damn version !!
but rest assured that there is no PID to the listening service, so u might
be right.
but then what is the solution !?

thx v.much for this information

Posted by Richard Hector <rh...@actrix.gen.nz>.

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
> netstat -ap | grep LISTEN | grep http
>
> There will be a line that reads similar to:
> tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
> 2294/httpd
i run the command and the line was shown up *BUT* withouth the 2294 or any
digit, it was containing '-' !!!
> You have to kill whatever is listening, in this case it is process 2294,
> httpd (apache).  For example, I would type in `kill -9 2294`.
as i said, there was no process for it !

thx

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> there is no sign that apache is running, but it is running, when i typed
> 127.0.0.1 in the browser, it gives me the page, when i run the new apache,
> it gimme the error that it cann't bind to port 80 and something is useing
it
> !!!!!

Run this, as root:

netstat -ap | grep LISTEN | grep http

There will be a line that reads similar to:
tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
2294/httpd

You have to kill whatever is listening, in this case it is process 2294,
httpd (apache).  For example, I would type in `kill -9 2294`.

Run the netstat command I wrote above again, and you should not get anything
printed to the screen.  If you do, paste in what you get and we can go from
there.

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] how can i remove the STICKY httpd 1.3* ?

Posted by Hytham Shehab <hy...@menanet.net>.
> - shutdown apache normally (apachectl stop)
> - netstat -an | grep LISTEN
> Do you have a line that says
> "tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN"
yes
> if not, your webserver is shutdown
> - ps -ef | grep httpd
> do you see a line similar to
> "nobody   16604  2294  1 10:07 ?        00:00:00
no
> /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL" ?
i did it but nothing happened
> - try netstat -an | grep LISTEN again.  If you still have a line with :80,
> see if ps -ef | grep httpd shows anything other than your grep.  If so,
you
there is no sign that apache is running, but it is running, when i typed
127.0.0.1 in the browser, it gives me the page, when i run the new apache,
it gimme the error that it cann't bind to port 80 and something is useing it
!!!!!

any idea !!

thx v.much

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> how can i *ERADICATE* the old httpd ?

- shutdown apache normally (apachectl stop)
- netstat -an | grep LISTEN
Do you have a line that says
"tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN"
if not, your webserver is shutdown
- ps -ef | grep httpd
do you see a line similar to
"nobody   16604  2294  1 10:07 ?        00:00:00
/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL" ?

If so, scroll up in the list and kill the process with the lowest pid (16604
in that line).
- try netstat -an | grep LISTEN again.  If you still have a line with :80,
see if ps -ef | grep httpd shows anything other than your grep.  If so, you
didn't kill off apache.  If apache is truly killed, and you still have
something listening on port 80, you'll need to figure out what that is and
kill it.