Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Jaffe <wi...@earthlink.net> on 2003/08/12 22:59:34 UTC

Conversions for external import

Friends,

I apologize if this has been covered before; I did a quick search in the archives and came up empty.

I am considering switching over to svn after many years familiarity with CVS and I am facing a challenge with my new employer. They have a large quantity of code in PVCS and after numerous attempts to get that stuff out and into CVS I am stymied. The cvs-contributed tool pvcs2rcs does NOT work as advertised, and I am very reluctant to import just a snapshot of a large project with many historic revisions. Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY converted a PVCS project into SCCS or RCS or CVS? I'd like some real-world help on this.

Mark Jaffe
(aka mark.jaffe@verizonwireless.com)

Re: Conversions for external import

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:59:34PM -0700, Mark Jaffe wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I apologize if this has been covered before; I did a quick search in
> the archives and came up empty.
>
> I am considering switching over to svn after many years familiarity
> with CVS and I am facing a challenge with my new employer. They have a
> large quantity of code in PVCS and after numerous attempts to get that
> stuff out and into CVS I am stymied. The cvs-contributed tool pvcs2rcs
> does NOT work as advertised, and I am very reluctant to import just a
> snapshot of a large project with many historic revisions. Has anyone
> SUCCESSFULLY converted a PVCS project into SCCS or RCS or CVS? I'd
> like some real-world help on this.

There's something called VCP that can convert between various version
control systems.  I have never tried it and I have never tried to
convert from PVCS to anything else, so I can't say how well it would
work.

Chia-liang Kao's been working on a Subversion target for VCP.

VCP is available from CPAN, but I don't know if the Subversion support
exists in the latest stuff available from CPAN.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>