Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Matias Alejo Garcia <ma...@confronte.com> on 2006/09/11 15:17:10 UTC

Linux or FreeBSD?

Hi all!

I am installing a new web server. I will serve a site developed using Apache
2 /  Mod_perl2 / MySQL 5.

Would you recommend Linux (Gentoo, kernel 2.6) or FreeBSD?

It will be a production server. The server hardware is Opteron 165 (Dual
core), 2GB RAM.

What are the advantages of using FreeBSD?

Thanks!

--
matías

Re: Linux or FreeBSD?

Posted by Enno <bu...@xs4all.nl>.
I'm running Gentoo on my devel box and I refuse to use portage for
modperl and apache. Most perl stuff isnt updated often enough (dunno
what the current mp2 version in portage is though) and the apache branch
is all tweaked and had more config layout changes than Pamela Anderson
had boobjobs.
I've since relied on manual compiles of apache, mp2 and libapreq.

Gentoo rocks for the rest, but I'd never use it in a prod environment as
you don't really want to compile a new kernel on it when another update
has been put out. (Unless you use precompiled packages).

Freebsd, I dunno, last time I touched it was about a decade ago ;)

Hope this helps ;)

Enno

Re: Linux or FreeBSD?

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Matias Alejo Garcia wrote:
> Important issue! Thanks for letting me know. I was afraid about freeBSD
> update status.
Them's be fighting words ....  :)
Glad we got that resolved.

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right to
deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night."
    __  ___     ___ ____  __
   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /
  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/
        <___/

Re: Linux or FreeBSD?

Posted by Matias Alejo Garcia <ma...@confronte.com>.
On 9/11/06, Jonathan Vanasco <modperl-list@2xlp.com > wrote:

On Sep 11, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Matias Alejo Garcia wrote:
> I will check ubuntu, I thought it was desktop oriented.

There is 'ubuntu server' now.  its like half the size of the desktop.

just to note, getting mp running under ubuntu can be a tiny bit of a
pain-- the dependencies don't always automatically install.  its
still a relatively quick job-- but you can find yourself spending 30
minutes doing it instead of 10.

30min is OK. I had fight  against gentoo's portage dependency for hours!

By the way, why ubunty and not Debian?

Thanks!

--
http://confronte.com
Compará y comprá mejor

Re: Linux or FreeBSD?

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com>.
On Sep 11, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Matias Alejo Garcia wrote:
> I will check ubuntu, I thought it was desktop oriented.

There is 'ubuntu server' now.  its like half the size of the desktop.

I believe that current versions of apache2 and mp2 are in the
standard system-- BUT libapreq is not

in order to get libapreq running, you need to edit the apt-get
sources list , and uncomment out or add in a line that pulls in the
ubuntu 'community' server.  libapreq current is in there, and
installs easily.

Re: Linux or FreeBSD?

Posted by Matias Alejo Garcia <ma...@confronte.com>.
On 9/11/06, Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Matias Alejo Garcia wrote:
> > Would you recommend Linux (Gentoo, kernel 2.6) or FreeBSD?
> > What are the advantages of using FreeBSD?
>
> mod_perl runs fine on both.  You're best off asking Gentoo or FreeBSD
> user groups for their opinions on the other apps.
>
> But i will offer this from personal experience:
>         The FreeBSD ports system is really easy to use, and easy to keep
> machines up to date with.  mod_perl ports tend to be made available
> within hours of source release, thanks to Phillip who is maintaining
> both a chunk of the mp/libapreq code AND the FreeBSD port-- for me
> that was a huge selling point.

Important issue! Thanks for letting me know. I was afraid about freeBSD
update status.

        I find linux , lately, has offered a bit more options for debugging
> and tracing memory, so i've been running a test server with ubuntu.
> I've been really happy with it- its like debian, but with packages
> that are well maintained.

I will check ubuntu, I thought it was desktop oriented.

Thanks your answer.

matías

--
http://confronte.com