Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Don Saklad <ds...@zurich.csail.mit.edu> on 2004/08/30 07:06:31 UTC

How neophytes without mastery of computers can use spamassassin.

Where are there explanations of how to use spamassassin for
neophytes without any mastery of computers?...

Re: How neophytes without mastery of computers can use spamassassin.

Posted by David Jiménez Domínguez <dj...@correo.seguridad.unam.mx>.
Mensaje citado por Don Saklad <ds...@zurich.csail.mit.edu>:

You can start with....

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/spamassassin/

after that, stay in touch in users@spamassassin.apache.org

Ciao

> Where are there explanations of how to use spamassassin for
> neophytes without any mastery of computers?...

David Jiménez Dominguez
Becario Unam-Cert
Dirección General de Servicios de Cómputo Académico,
Circuito Exterior, C.U. (frente a FCA).
c.p. 04510 México D.F.
Teléfono: 56228169
Fax:56228043
          __
         |  \  _     .  _|
       (_|__/_(_|_\/_|_(_|
    /)                     (\
   / )                     ( \
 _( (_    _           _    _) )_
(((\ \>  /_>         <_\  </ /)))
(\\\\ \_/ /           \ \_/ ////)
 \       /             \       /
  \    _/               \_    /
  /   /                   \   \
 /   /                     \   \

Re: How neophytes without mastery of computers can use spamassassin.

Posted by Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>.
Don Saklad wrote to users@spamassassin.apache.org and dsaklad@zurich.csail....:

> Where are there explanations of how to use spamassassin for
> neophytes without any mastery of computers?...

Hi Don,

First, I'm really glad that you have an interest in using SpamAssassin.
I'll presume that by "neophytes without any mastery of computers", you
are referring to yourself. If I'm wrong, please accept my apology, but,
for now, that presumption will at least make this email easier to write
and digest. :-)

SpamAssassin is complex enough by itself, and is only one piece of a
much larger puzzle you must ultimately master in order to configure
SpamAssassin with your email server (or client). Going in "without any
mastery of computers", I fear, would be a little like handing a scalpel
to a 1st year med student. How would a surgeon answer the question of
"Where are there explanations of how to use a scalpel for neophytes
without any mastery of medicine?"

So, Don, I've always been very keen on helping newbies, but I don't
think your question, here, has a good answer.

If you post a little bit about your current setup (or how you envision
it to work), and what you would like SpamAssassin to do for you, we may
be able to give you some practical advice (or, indeed, pointers to
"explanations of how to use SpamAssassin") that will be genuinely
helpful to you.

If your "[non-]mastery of computers" (what does that mean, in your
case?) still makes the learning curve too steep for you, you may at
least come away with a better understanding of what you need to learn.

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon