Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <o....@dplanet.ch> on 2003/05/20 23:20:14 UTC

Beta-1 release

I feel that we can't continue stretching the existing API to its very
limits. Time has come to make a cut. HttpClient in its present form has
reached the degree of imperfection I am personally prepared to live
with. I propose that we declare HttpClient 2.0 API freeze and release
the existing CVS HEAD as beta-1.

Please cast your votes on this proposal. Only the votes of committers
are considered binding. Nevertheless, everyone is whole-heartedly
welcome to express their opinion.

If the first beta release is approved, all the efforts will be directed
at stabilizing the existing code base & improving documentation. Only
corrective patches that retain FULL API compatibility may be accepted.

Once we feel that the code is stable enough, 2.0 will be branched out,
the API may be unfrozen again, and the work towards HttpClient 2.1 will
commence.

Oleg

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Jeff Dever <je...@dever.ca>.
+1

Eric,
The pevious vote was to freeze the API, and this is to do a beta-1
release now, which of course includes the frozen API.  We will be
encouraging everyone to adopt this beta, and don't want any fears over
an ever changing interface.

Jandalf.

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
Oleg,

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Laura Werner <la...@lwerner.org>.
+1 (unbinding, of course)

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.
I have more than I ever needed with the current version. The API is
okay. So a +1 from my side.

I am looking forward to kicking off 2.1 soon!

Odi

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
+1 yes please

Mike

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <o....@dplanet.ch>.
+1

Oleg "Olegolas" (olegk@apache.org)

Re: Beta-1 release

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Once we feel that the code is stable enough, 2.0 will be branched out,
> the API may be unfrozen again, and the work towards HttpClient 2.1 will
> commence.

It's about time. Non-binding +1000 :-)

We're using HttpClient from Cactus, and I'm not aware of any problems...
Really, HttpClient has improved vastly in the last year (is it already
over a year!? man...), and all the contributors have done an awesome job
IMHO.

However, I always get slightly afraid when Oleg talks about 2.1 ;-).
I sure hope you folks won't turn around the API without giving us
clients enough chance to keep up. So even if HttpMethod is split up into
HttpRequest and HttpResponse - or whatever - please provide a solid
migration path and be a good continuous integration citizen.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de

Re: Beta-1 release