Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Pell <Ja...@dssonline.com.au> on 2001/02/01 02:09:24 UTC

Re: log files in tomcat

I have also had problems with this.

As suggested I tried adding jvm.stderr and jvm.stdout logs to server.xml:

----------------------------------------- server.xml fragment
-------------------------------
<Logger name="jvm.stderr"
            verbosityLevel = "DEBUG"
            path="logs/stderr.log"
    />

    <Logger name="jvm.stdout"
            verbosityLevel = "DEBUG"
            path="logs/stdout.log"
    />
----------------------------------------- server.xml fragment
-------------------------------

But no joy I am afraid.  Is this the correct config info.

I am running Tomcat 3.2.1 on Redhat 6.2

Thanks
Jason

"Garmaev, Vladimir A" wrote:

> There should be two more logs:
>
> jvm.stderr
> jvm.stdout
>
> The latter is logging System.out.println

Jason Pell
Senior Analyst/Programmer - Web Developer
Deakin Software Services Pty Ltd
12 Gheringhap St, Geelong Victoria 3220 Australia
Phone: 03 5227 8858 International: +61 3 5227 8858
Fax: 03 5227 8907 International: +61 3 5227 8907
E-mail Jason.Pell@dssonline.com.au
http://www.dssonline.com.au
Customer Support Hotline: 1800 620 497

"Callista - the brightest solution in university management"

Important Notice: The contents of this email transmission,
including attachments, may be privileged and confidential.
Any unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please advise
the sender by return email or telephone immediately and
destroy all versions.

Re: log files in tomcat

Posted by Shahed Ali <sh...@enoor.com>.
I have modified my tomcat.sh/bat file
to have
java org.apache.whatever.tomcat start 1>/path/to/logs/stdout.log 2>&1

So when you startup tomcat , the stdout and stderr go to a file.

But since you are using windows, I am not very sure about the syntax.

just a > file.log may redirect both System.out.println and
System.err.println to
the same file.

Hope this helps
Regards
Shahed.

[more on] Re: log files in tomcat

Posted by Ross Manges <rd...@yahoo.com>.
 Hi,

That sounds like a great idea.  Could someone please tell me how to re-direct stderr and stout to a log file?  I have set every log file in the server.xml file to "DEBUG" but I still don't see the System.out.println() messages anywhere.  They don't even show up on the server console.  Your help is greatly appreciated!  I'm running tomcat 3.2.1 on WinMe (I've had the same behavior under Win98 if that helps).

--Ross

  Jason Pell <Ja...@dssonline.com.au> wrote:
Perhaps we should take this as a suggested improvement to tomcat:

If they are present, then redirect System.out and System.err to these logfiles.

CPC Livelink Admin wrote:

> Actually, these are files that are generated by the jk_nt_service helper
> application, not entries in tomcat.
>
> If you want to capture the output of tomcat, you need to either a) redirect
> the output to a file (on Unix you also need to redirect stderr, on Windows
> stdout and stderr are much the same (I think)) or b) programatically change
> the stream pointed to by System.out and .err to something else which you
> have opened.

- Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail Personal Address  - only $35 a year!

Re: log files in tomcat

Posted by Jason Pell <Ja...@dssonline.com.au>.

RE: log files in tomcat