Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2004/03/18 16:50:28 UTC

Another licensing issue

Jeremias et al,

I would like ti use the Unicode Character Database as a source for names
of characters.  At the moment, ...fonts.Glyphs contains a static table
of String pairs containing the Unicode character and its name,
respectively.  The names are not the Unicode Character Database names,
and I thought it might be a good idea if they were.  However, there
seems to be no way to get the canonical UCD name from Java, although
java.lang.Character and java.lang.Character.UnicodeBlock have extensive
support for various characteristics of the UCD.

The problem with deriving the names from the UCD is another one of
licensing.  Any ideas about how we might approach this?

Peter

Re: Another licensing issue

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Well, the list may not be complete as the Unicode standard in always in
flux. At any rate, I think the character name list is used to map the
names to unicode character, so you can map unicode characters to a
font's glyph index. So it's primarily a matter for custom multibyte
fonts like TrueType fonts. I can't see right now, where we need a wider
set of character names. Maybe when people need to use fonts that have
the latest and newest Unicode characters in them they could run into
problems. Not sure.

On 19.03.2004 06:07:04 Peter B. West wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> The penny just dropped about the names of the Unicode characters; they
> are the Adobe Glyph List and the Zapf Dingbats Glyph List names of a
> subset of Unicode characters.
>
> Won't we at some stage need to generalise support for a wider set of
> glyphs?  Or is that entirely a matter for user-defined fonts?  Looks as
> though I'll have to look at user fonts.
>
> Peter
>
> Peter B. West wrote:
> > Jeremias et al,
> >
> > I would like ti use the Unicode Character Database as a source for names
> > of characters.  At the moment, ...fonts.Glyphs contains a static table
> > of String pairs containing the Unicode character and its name,
> > respectively.
> --
> Peter B. West <http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html>

Jeremias Maerki