Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sean Bridges <se...@globalrelay.net> on 2016/10/24 16:04:51 UTC

incremental repairs with -pr flag?

Hey,

In the datastax documentation on repair [1], it says,

"The partitioner range option is recommended for routine maintenance. Do
not use it to repair a downed node. Do not use with incremental repair
(default for Cassandra 3.0 and later)."

Why is it not recommended to use -pr with incremental repairs?

Thanks,

Sean

[1]
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.x/cassandra/operations/opsRepairNodesManualRepair.html
--

Sean Bridges

senior systems architect
Global Relay

_sean.bridges@globalrelay.net_ <ma...@globalrelay.net>

*866.484.6630 *
New York | Chicago | Vancouver | London (+44.0800.032.9829) | Singapore
(+65.3158.1301)

Global Relay Archive supports email, instant messaging, BlackBerry,
Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Pivot, YellowJacket, LinkedIn, Twitter,
Facebook and more.

Ask about *_Global Relay Message_*
<http://www.globalrelay.com/services/message> - The Future of
Collaboration in the Financial Services World

All email sent to or from this address will be retained by Global
Relay's email archiving system. This message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Global Relay will not be liable for any
compliance or technical information provided herein. All trademarks are
the property of their respective owners.

Re: incremental repairs with -pr flag?

Posted by Bruno Lavoie <bl...@brunol.com>.
Another point, I've done another test on my 5 node cluster.

Created a keyspace with replication factor of 5 and inserted some data in
it.

Run a full repair on each node to make sstable appear on disk.

Then run multiple times on each nodes:
1 - nodetool repair
2 - nodetool repair -pr

Due to incremental repair, if I altenate between these 2 commands, no files
change on disk... It means anti-compaction is used.

But on the wall-clock timing, the first method takes an average of 15
seconds and the second one an average of 10 seconds.

But there's no mutation between these commands...

Bruno

Posted by Bruno Lavoie <bl...@brunol.com>.
Thanks for your reply,

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.