Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2002/11/09 14:14:05 UTC

skinconf.xml evolution (Re: path trail)

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:36:04PM +0100, Bert Van Kets wrote:
> Doing the tests with Forrest I tried to disable the breadcrumbs by making
> the attributes in the skinconf.xml file empty.  However the path is still
> displayed.  I suppose this is a WIP.

Actually the skinconf comment is misleading.. all that blanking those
entries does is prevent the first few breadcumb links from appearing.
All subdirectory breadcrumbs are shown.

How about we add a <disable-breadcrumbs> entry to skinconf.xml, to match
<disable-search>?

I wish I'd called it <enable-search>.. now the damage is done, we can
either:
 - break backwards-compat and reverse the logic
 - follow the precedent and do a major overhaul sometime in the future

I'd prefer the second option, because sooner or later I'd like to
incorporate Peter's ideas of how to represent logos.  From
<20...@apache.org>:

<logo>
  <name>ThinkTank</name>
  <role>project</role>
  <url>http://www.realityforge.org/thinktank</url>
  <image>skin/images/thinktank-logo.gif</image>
  <width>88</width>
  <height>31</height>
</logo>
<logo>
  <name>RealityForge</name>
  <role>group</role>
  <url>http://www.realityforge.org/</url>
  <image>skin/images/rf.gif</image>
  <width>88</width>
  <height>31</height>
</logo>
<logo>
  <name>Built with Cocoon</name>
  <role>credit</role>
  <url>http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/</url>
  <image>skin/images/built-with-cocoon.gif</image>
  <width>88</width>
  <height>31</height>
</logo>

I wasn't keen at first, but one excellent use-case for this system turned
up: that of specifying equivalent images for different backgrounds.
Currently the Forrest images are designed for a dark background, and look
odd in the avalon-tigris skin.  With the system above, we could provide
hints about the image's suitability:

<logo>
  <name>Jakarta Logo</name>
  <role>group</role>
  <url>http://jakarta.apache.org</url>
  <image>skin/images/jakarta-logo.gif</image>
  <width>88</width>
  <height>31</height>
</logo>
<logo>
  <name>Jakarta Logo</name>
  <role>group</role>
  <url>http://jakarta.apache.org</url>
  <image>skin/images/jakarta-logo-blue.gif</image>
  <width>88</width>
  <height>31</height>
</logo>

and more generally, store any image metadata which the skins can make use
of.

This would require a backwards-incompatible break.  So I think we should
store up all skinconf.xml niggles and fix'em all at once..

--Jeff

Re: skinconf.xml evolution (Re: path trail)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Yes, it's possible to just evolve skinconf.  It potentially leads to very
> messy stylesheets and DTDs though.  It would be nicer to make a clean
> break at some point

well, that's what 'deprecated' means: 'we're probably gonna get rid of
this in the future so stop using it, you berk!' :-)

Re: skinconf.xml evolution (Re: path trail)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 08:58:08AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > How about we add a <disable-breadcrumbs> entry to skinconf.xml, to match
> > <disable-search>?
> >
> > I wish I'd called it <enable-search>.. now the damage is done, we can
> > either:
> >  - break backwards-compat and reverse the logic
> >  - follow the precedent and do a major overhaul sometime in the future
>
> i don't know from xml, really, but can't you just duplicate the effect
> of the current tag (what is it, <search>?) into <enable-search>, so
> they both do the same thing, and deprecate the original one?

Yes, it's possible to just evolve skinconf.  It potentially leads to very
messy stylesheets and DTDs though.  It would be nicer to make a clean
break at some point, and keep backwards-compat with a stylesheet
(automatically applied), converting the format.

--Jeff

Re: skinconf.xml evolution (Re: path trail)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
At 00:14 10/11/2002 +1100, you wrote:
> [...]
>
><logo>
>   <name>Jakarta Logo</name>
>   <role>group</role>
>   <url>http://jakarta.apache.org</url>
>   <image>skin/images/jakarta-logo.gif</image>
>   <width>88</width>
>   <height>31</height>
></logo>
><logo>
>   <name>Jakarta Logo</name>
>   <role>group</role>
>   <url>http://jakarta.apache.org</url>
>   <image>skin/images/jakarta-logo-blue.gif</image>
>   <width>88</width>
>   <height>31</height>
></logo>
>
>and more generally, store any image metadata which the skins can make use
>of.
>
>This would require a backwards-incompatible break.  So I think we should
>store up all skinconf.xml niggles and fix'em all at once..

+1 Bert