Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Norbert Sándor <de...@freemail.hu> on 2005/06/22 20:50:56 UTC

remove default-binding...

Hello,

I start this thread again :)

I started to use Tapestry 4.0 alpha and I'm very confused with default bindings.

When I create a component myself, it seems to be a simple solution to always use a binding prefix or use the default OGNL binding (don't specify a default binding).
But what about components produced by others, heavily using this feature? These will be difficult to read and use. If I see a binding without a prefix, I don't know if it's an OGNL binding or something else. So I should check the parameter's definition, etc.

I think that there should be much simplier rules, to improve the readability of the component specifications: if there is no binding prefix then it is always OGNL. If the binding is something else then it should be always explicitly defined. This means that there is no need for default-binding.
By using default-binding, the definition of the binding falls apart to two parts in two separate files!
Don't give a feature to developers which may corrupt the clean and easy to understand structure of the specs!

Someone recommended that it should be configurable. I don't see how this could work with component libraries using different configs.
On the other hand such an option would mean that there is no standard for authoring component specifications.

If default-binding stays in the final Tapestry 4.0 then the only way to create well readable specs is to always include the prefix in all bindings.

Br,
Norbi

Re: remove default-binding...

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
yup

Re: remove default-binding...

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: remove default-binding...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Norbi - it's just that we've been around and around about it.  I
think during the beta period more people will try out Tapestry 4 and
we can hammer this one out.  I'm -0 on that feature now (meaning I'm
against it, but not so much that I'm going to veto it if others want
it).

     Erik

Re: remove default-binding...

Re: remove default-binding...

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
I'm still of the opinion that default bindings would cause more
problems than it solves.

Geoff