Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sebastien Sahuc <ss...@imediation.com> on 2000/09/22 16:47:37 UTC

switching to C2 was: [Re: re project using cocoon 2.x@2]

Giacomo Pati wrote :

> --- Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am behind a firewall (with no HTTP tunneling). Is there a web page i
> > can download the daily
> > snapshots from? (for Cocoon2)

> No, there aren't any daily snapshots of alpha code yet.

Well I remember a thread dealing with the pro and cons of having such a
snapshot for Cocoon 2, and it came out that the fact that cocoon2 was
still in alpha stage would have generated a -lot of- questions on
installation and issues from a point of view of users....

Now that cocoon2 has reach kind of stable stage, and the installation
process is going to be easier and easier (even easier than cocoon1,
thanks to Servlet2.2), we should start IMHO pushing the Cocoon2 use, No ?

Currently, I think -still IMHO- that cocoon2 is not accessible enough
(not in term of installation, neither code or understanding, but rather
in term of downloading and use), and cocoon1 should start fading away...
Indeed in the dev mailing list, the main thread are Cocoon2 related, and
very few are dealing with Cocoon1.

All the best,

Sebastien

Re: switching to C2 was: [Re: re project using cocoon 2.x@2]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sebastien Sahuc wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote :
>
> > --- Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Am behind a firewall (with no HTTP tunneling). Is there a web page i
> > > can download the daily
> > > snapshots from? (for Cocoon2)
>
> > No, there aren't any daily snapshots of alpha code yet.
>
> Well I remember a thread dealing with the pro and cons of having such a
> snapshot for Cocoon 2, and it came out that the fact that cocoon2 was
> still in alpha stage would have generated a -lot of- questions on
> installation and issues from a point of view of users....
>
> Now that cocoon2 has reach kind of stable stage, and the installation
> process is going to be easier and easier (even easier than cocoon1,
> thanks to Servlet2.2), we should start IMHO pushing the Cocoon2 use, No ?

No, not until Stylebook is still in there. I _really_ don't want people
to look at stylebook any longer. It's already doing enough harm.

> Currently, I think -still IMHO- that cocoon2 is not accessible enough
> (not in term of installation, neither code or understanding, but rather
> in term of downloading and use), and cocoon1 should start fading away...
> Indeed in the dev mailing list, the main thread are Cocoon2 related, and
> very few are dealing with Cocoon1.

Oh, totally, but I feel that 70% of the basics are implemented, so we
have a few more milestones to go.

Anyway, beta for end of October I said, and beta for ApacheCON will be.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

C2 and Tomcat

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
A question concerning C2 and Tomcat versions:

It looks as though the current CVS version does not run with Tomcat 3.1 -
correct?
Is 3.2 now required - or indeed Catalina?

Considering C2 beta is set for the end of October - what Tomcat environment
are we aiming at for the beta?

Matthew Langham
Technical Director

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

Re: AW: switching to C2 was: [Re: re project using cocoon 2.x@2]

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
Hi Matthiew

Matthew Langham wrote:

> Currently, I think -still IMHO- that cocoon2 is not accessible enough
> (not in term of installation, neither code or understanding, but rather
> in term of downloading and use), and cocoon1 should start fading away...
> Indeed in the dev mailing list, the main thread are Cocoon2 related, and
> very few are dealing with Cocoon1.
> <<

Yes, there still aren't such thing like "daily snapshots". And I
appreciate you initiative. As soon as we think it is mature for beta we
will look for that.

> We would also like to see C2 pushed more to the front. We have a
> distribution set up (including everything you need to do a C2 setup on
> Windows NT/2000) which we would put out for download - just as soon as this
> would be acceptable. At the moment we  are delaying this until it is felt
> that C2 has come far enough.

We have an outstanding Avalon release comming soon. I'm getting in touch
with it and have realized that the changes are substantial. I'm
preparing a shell script to do the main stuff automatically. If anybody
else is interested in this let me know (yes, Carsten, it will happen
again :).

> We have been using C2 as a base for our developments and think it is already
> very stable. Check out our C2 based site http://sunshine.sundn.de for more
> on this.

This is very great news and I think that such a statement will help
moving people from C1 to C2. Thank you for sharing your experience with
C2.

Giacomo

                                          Web:   http://www.pwr.ch

AW: switching to C2 was: [Re: re project using cocoon 2.x@2]

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.

Currently, I think -still IMHO- that cocoon2 is not accessible enough
(not in term of installation, neither code or understanding, but rather
in term of downloading and use), and cocoon1 should start fading away...
Indeed in the dev mailing list, the main thread are Cocoon2 related, and
very few are dealing with Cocoon1.
<<

We would also like to see C2 pushed more to the front. We have a
distribution set up (including everything you need to do a C2 setup on
Windows NT/2000) which we would put out for download - just as soon as this
would be acceptable. At the moment we  are delaying this until it is felt
that C2 has come far enough.

We have been using C2 as a base for our developments and think it is already
very stable. Check out our C2 based site http://sunshine.sundn.de for more
on this.

Have a great weekend

Regards