Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/07 16:02:08 UTC

Managed File Transfer

Hi,
           We used a commercial FT and scheduler tool in clustered mode.
This was a traditional active-active cluster that supported multiple
protocols like FTPS etc.

    Now I am interested in evaluating a Distributed way of crawling FTP
sites and downloading files using Hadoop. I thought since we have to
process thousands of files Hadoop jobs can do it.

Are Hadoop jobs used for this type of file transfers ?

Moreover there is a requirement for a scheduler  also. What is the
recommendation of the forum ?

Thanks,
Mohan

Re: Managed File Transfer

Posted by Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.
I am a beginner. But this seems to be similar to what I intend. The data
source will be external FTP or S3 storage.

"Spark Streaming can read data from HDFS
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsUserGuide.html>
,Flume <http://flume.apache.org/>, Kafka <http://kafka.apache.org/>, Twitter
<https://dev.twitter.com/> and ZeroMQ <http://zeromq.org/>. You can also
define your own custom data sources."