Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/02/13 14:28:35 UTC

[classlib] bouncy castle

Ok, the thread re BC has gotten a bit confusing.

I thought the reason we needed to consider using a copy of the code is
because we need to create our own signed JAR.  If this is incorrect,
please say something.

I think there are a few ways to do this (and please, suggest others...) :

1) Rewrite the whole thing (certainly not ideal - noting here for
completeness)

2) Get a copy of the BC source and put in our repository

3) "manufacture" our own signed JAR from their source JAR.

4) Other?

I'm uncomfortable w/ #3 because we're not really simply re-distributing
someone else's code (because we re-package) nor are we publishing
something with the standard ASF oversight.  I'd like to avoid #1.  Can
we do #2 and then keep refreshing whenever they do an update, with us
contributing to them if we find bugs?

Ideas?

geir

Re: [classlib] bouncy castle

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 2/13/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>  . . .
> > 4.2) develop sources required to verify signature in the main BC JAR and
> > redistribute BC.JAR as is
>
> Hm.  That's interesting.  What does this really mean?

we need to implement SHA-1 message digest and SHA1withDSA signature.

see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3c6e47b64f0602100251p298009d1g24cb83768f039ccc@mail.gmail.com%3e

It is not trivial, so might be good for mid-term solution.

> > 4.3) #2 but take only necessary classes
>
> Yes, it was always intended to just take the minimum amount necessary.

Sounds very reasonable.

Thanks,
Mikhail.

Re: [classlib] bouncy castle

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> IMHO
> 1) Might make sense for the second release :)
>
> 2) The only problem I see here - BC contains classes that are not necessary
> for us. So, our repository will contain redundant files

Not necessarily - we'd just take what we needed, not the whole thing.

> 3) It might be manufacturing our own UNsigned JAR from their JAR. If we do not
> modify sources in #2 then I do not see big legal difference. Though I'm not an
> expert in the legal area.

There is no legal issue - lets just focus on what makes
project-management / engineering sense.

BTW, I didn't mean "source" really - I mean as them as the source of the
code for our JAR.  Sorry.

With this, the problem is that we'd be redistributing software that
isn't released by anyone (we wouldn't call it "bcprov") as a unit.

Anything that we create and distribute (and we'd be creating this)
should be reproducible from our SVN, becuase

a) it's reproducible if there is a question

b) the project will have oversight on what it's releasing - when we
[eventually] say "This is Apache Harmony", we want to be sure that
everything that isn't just a repurposed dependency is something we can
track the origin of...

Re: [classlib] bouncy castle

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
IMHO