Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Tejal Adsul <te...@confluent.io> on 2019/03/11 17:49:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION] KIP-421: Support resolving externalized secrets in AbstractConfig

Hi Folks,

I have accommodated most of the review comments for https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-421%3A+Support+resolving+externalized+secrets+in+AbstractConfig . Reopening the thread for further discussion. Please let me know your thoughts on it.

Thanks,
Tejal

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tejal,

Thanks for the updates. A few comments:

   1. In the standard KIP template, we have two sections `Public
   Interfaces` and `Proposed Changes`. Can you split the section `Proposal`
   into two so that public interface changes are more obvious?
   2. Under `Public Interfaces`, can you separate out interface changes and
   new configurations since the config changes are sort of lost in the text?
   In particular, I think this KIP is proposing to reserve the config name
   `config.providers` as well as all config names starting with
   `config.providers.` to resolve configs.
   3. The example looks a bit odd to me. It looks like we are removing
   local passwords like truststore password from a client config and instead
   adding a master password like vault password in cleartext into the file.
   Perhaps the intention is that the vault password won't be in the file for a
   vault provider?
   4. The example instantiates AbstractConfig. I am not familiar with the
   usage of this class in Connect, but is the intention that all the public
   config classes (ProducerConfig, ConsumerConfig, ConnectorConfig etc.) will
   be extended to optionally use the new AbstractConfig constructors?

Regards,

Rajini

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Tejal,

Thanks for the update.

One of the critical parts of the ConfigProvider interface is the ability to monitor changes to a configuration key through ConfigProvider#subscribe and ConfigProvider#unsubscribe, etc.  I don't see how the proposed API supports this.  Can you clarify?

Also, it's not clear to me when you would want to enable KIP-421 functionality and when you would want to disable it.  What is the purpose of making it possible to disable this?  Do you have examples of cases where we would use it and cases where we would not?  Would the broker use this functionality?

best,
Colin