Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2011/04/11 08:17:06 UTC

New connector sandbox

Hi,

I plan to create a
sandbox/connectors/native/iis7
for a native IIS7 C++ connector
(since Microsoft deprecated ISAPI)

Any objections?

Regards
--
^TM

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 04/26/2011 05:12 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 11.04.2011 11:34, Mladen Turk wrote:
>
> +1, but maybe as Konstantin noted just a simple top-level sandbox name like iis7 or connector-iis7 is enough. You can create any needed structure underneath. I think there's no real need to group sandboxes.

OK. I'll use iis7 as TLN.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 04/27/2011 08:53 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:

> Ie, is there any mod_proxy for IIS ?

Not inside ASF.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 4/27/2011 1:53 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
> Now that HTTP connector is as fast as AJP connector, is it still required ?
>
> Ie, is there any mod_proxy for IIS ?

You mean...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/carlosag/archive/2010/04/02/setting-up-a-reverse-proxy-using-iis-url-rewrite-and-arr.aspx

?

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
> Performance isn't a reasion for AJP in the last say 5 or more years. The
> major benefits of AJP are
>
> - smooth integration of a reverse proxy
>  The connector patches the communication data of the web server
>  into the webapp environment, i.e. client IP, protocol, server IP etc.
>
> - connection pooling including checking via cping/cpong

I know these well :)

BTW, AJP was initially developped for pure performance, Coyote HTTP
stack is now as fast as AJP one, that's why I mentioned it.

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 27.04.2011 08:53, Henri Gomez wrote:
> Now that HTTP connector is as fast as AJP connector, is it still required ?

Performance isn't a reasion for AJP in the last say 5 or more years. The
major benefits of AJP are

- smooth integration of a reverse proxy
   The connector patches the communication data of the web server
   into the webapp environment, i.e. client IP, protocol, server IP etc.

- connection pooling including checking via cping/cpong

Regards,

Rainer

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/11 Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to create a
> sandbox/connectors/native/iis7
> for a native IIS7 C++ connector
> (since Microsoft deprecated ISAPI)
>
> Any objections?

I do not mind.

Though
1) Do you need those immediate levels? Will there be anything in them?

I guess the code will go into
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/jk/trunk/native/iis7/
when it becomes mature?

2) Just noticed that there is a readme in sandbox,
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/sandbox/README.txt?view=markup

Based on that I would prefer some more explicit name of a "component"
rather than some nested "connectors" sandbox inside sandbox.

Maybe sandbox/jk_iis7 ?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: New connector sandbox

Posted by Tim Whittington <ti...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to create a
> sandbox/connectors/native/iis7
> for a native IIS7 C++ connector
> (since Microsoft deprecated ISAPI)
>
> Any objections?

We're only just getting the ISAPI one working properly ;)

+1 from me - let me know if you want help.

cheers
tim