Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/04/02 13:33:03 UTC

IRC

Gang,

We have now started a more or less permanent IRC channel where I and Stephen
will be hanging out, and hopefully others when online.

It will be used for community bonding, brainstorming and any other
communications that require short loops.

Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel:  #ApacheAvalon

Cheers and see you guys on IRC.
Niclas

Re: IRC

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
My email is acting weird today.  This message might show up twice.  Sorry!

Quoting Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>:

> Gang,
>
> We have now started a more or less permanent IRC channel where I and Stephen
>
> will be hanging out, and hopefully others when online.
>
> It will be used for community bonding, brainstorming and any other
> communications that require short loops.
>
> Server: irc.freenode.net
> Channel:  #ApacheAvalon

I was also in touch with Rob Levin (of Freenode) and the board is establishing
"official" contacts between ASF and freenode.  This means the ASF may get all
apache-* channels (or something similar) and have official operators of channels.

Of course, all important discussions should be mirrored on the mailing list too. :)

See you in IRC!

---
  jaaron      <http://jadetower.org>

RE: IRC

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
That's a good idea.

Re: IRC

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

Re: IRC

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,
>
> We have now started a more or less permanent IRC channel where I and Stephen
> will be hanging out, and hopefully others when online.
>
> It will be used for community bonding, brainstorming and any other
> communications that require short loops.
>
> Server: irc.freenode.net
> Channel:  #ApacheAvalon
>

> Cheers and see you guys on IRC.
> Niclas

Excellent news.  I appreciate the purpose stated above, and I believe that IRC
is the best tool available for that job.

My only concern is that the IRC compliment the mailing list.  Sometimes we need
a higher bandwidth solution (quicker turn around) than email, and that is fine
as long as decisions don't get made on IRC that no-one who wasn't there won't
be aware of.  Anything semi-official should have the log posted to the mailing list.

Re: IRC

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,
>
> We have now started a more or less permanent IRC channel where I and Stephen
> will be hanging out, and hopefully others when online.

Great idea.  I'm there.

RE: IRC

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Yep I can get a hold of it - think Paul Bonkowski did that for us.

RE: IRC

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: IRC

Posted by Corey Jewett <cj...@syntheticplayground.com>.
Another project I follow runs a bot that posts 'real-time' logs to the
webserver. They're sliced into daily chunks. When an
interesting/important dialog occurs somebody will:

1) post a link to the log (and a time :)
2) OR cut'n'paste the relevant conversation.

This strategy works well to filter out the noise.

Corey

Re: IRC

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Re: IRC